Visual Basic MSComm port and Virtual port

In summary, the conversation discussed using MSComm for testing communication ports on a visual basic program. The program is working well with standard ports, but cannot test virtual ports. The person is looking for advice on how to handle testing for virtual ports.
Mike Phan
Hi,

I am writing a visual basic program and used MSComm for testing communication ports of PC. It is working well.

At company, we have a game machine using two standard ports (com1 and com2 which can use MSComm to test) and virtual ports (com3 and com4). Of course, the program cannot test the virtual ports com3 and com4.

Anyone knows what should I do for my program or what I should consider of? Thanks a lot!

Mike

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are asking for.

Ooh NO!

Ooh!tell me O!.

I am as well suprised

I've never messed with virtual com ports before but I have a fair amount of experience with MSComm is VB. Is there some sort of loopback test you can do? Is there a setting for this virtual port that could do a 'virtual loopback'?

1. What is a Visual Basic MSComm port?

A Visual Basic MSComm port is a communication port that allows a Visual Basic program to send and receive data from external devices, such as modems, printers, and other computers.

2. How do I create a Virtual port in Visual Basic?

To create a Virtual port in Visual Basic, you can use the MSComm control and set the PortOpen property to true. Then, you can use the CommPort, Settings, and PortOpen properties to specify the port number, baud rate, and open the port respectively.

3. What is the difference between a MSComm port and a Virtual port?

The main difference between a MSComm port and a Virtual port is that a MSComm port is a physical port on your computer, while a Virtual port is a software-based port that emulates a physical port. This allows for greater flexibility and the ability to have multiple Virtual ports on one physical port.

4. Can I use a Virtual port to communicate with real devices?

Yes, you can use a Virtual port to communicate with real devices as long as the device is connected to a physical port on your computer. The Virtual port will act as a bridge between your program and the external device.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with my Visual Basic MSComm port?

If you are experiencing issues with your Visual Basic MSComm port, you can try checking the connection of your device, ensuring the correct port settings are used, and checking for any errors or exceptions in your code. You can also refer to the documentation for the specific device or consult with other developers for troubleshooting tips.