Calculating Solar Water Heating Efficiency

In summary, the conversation is about solar heating of water and the question is how long it will take for the water to reach 80F. The details provided include a 1" diameter x 4' long glass tube filled with water at 250F, a 2" diameter tube filled with water at 40F, a flow rate of 1 gal/min, and a 100 gal tank. The person is looking for help with calculations as they no longer have access to them.
Solar
Is there anyone out there that can help me answer a question I have related to solar heating of water.

- There is a 1" diameter x 4' long glass tube filled with water having an input temperature of 250F.

- There is a 2" diameter tube surrounding it, 4' long, filled with water coming from the opposite direction at a temperature of 40F.

- The Flow rate is 1 gal/min.

- I have 100 gal tank.

How long before the water reaches 80F?

For the sake of simplicity let's assume the sun shinning 24 hours a day.

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried some kind of solution?

A solution is what I am looking for.

As it has been a while since I am out of engineering school, and have no ready access to the calculations, I was hoping for a little help.

What is solar water heating?

Solar water heating is the process of using energy from the sun to heat water for residential or commercial use. This is typically done through the use of solar water heating tubes, which are designed to absorb the sun's energy and transfer it to the water.

How do solar water heating tubes work?

Solar water heating tubes work by collecting and absorbing the sun's energy through a solar collector, which is usually located on the roof of a building. The energy is then transferred to a heat exchanger, where it is used to heat up the water. The heated water is then stored in a tank for later use.

What are the benefits of using solar water heating tubes?

There are several benefits to using solar water heating tubes. First, they are an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional water heating methods, as they do not emit any greenhouse gases. They also help reduce energy costs, as they use the sun's energy instead of electricity or gas. Additionally, solar water heating tubes can provide hot water even during power outages.

Are solar water heating tubes suitable for all climates?

Solar water heating tubes can be utilized in a variety of climates, but they are most effective in areas with high levels of sunlight. They can still be used in colder climates, but may require a larger system to compensate for the lower levels of sunlight. Proper installation and maintenance can also impact the effectiveness of solar water heating tubes in different climates.

What is the lifespan of solar water heating tubes?

The lifespan of solar water heating tubes can vary depending on the quality of the materials and regular maintenance. On average, they can last anywhere from 10-20 years. However, some high-quality systems can last even longer with proper care and maintenance.