Analyzing RLC Series Circuits Using Laplace Transforms and Complex Variables

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation in order to find V0. They know that V0 = R + j\omega L - \frac{j}{\omega C} and that they need to use Kirchoff's Laws for circuits in order to solve for I0. They found that I0 = V0 / ([(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2) and were able to simplify the equation by using the values of Sin(φ) and Cos(φ) from a right triangle.
lylos

Homework Statement

I need to solve the following equation to get I = V/((R^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)^1/2).

Homework Equations

-I[(1/c - w^2L)sin(Φ)-Rwcos(Φ)]-wV=0
we know that tan(Φ) = (Xl-Xc)/R
Xc = 1/wc
Xl = wL

The Attempt at a Solution

I[(1/c - w^2 L)sin(Φ)-Rwcos(Φ)]=wV
I[sin(Φ)/c - sin(Φ)w^2L - Rwcos(Φ)] = wV
I[sin(Φ)/wc - sin(Φ)wL - Rcos(Φ)] = V

By using a helping right hand triangle, I know that sin(Φ)=(Xl-Xc)/((R^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)^1/2) and cos(Φ)=R/((R^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)^1/2)...

So I won't have to type this over and over, I'll assume the hypotnuse of the triangle is h = ((R^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)^1/2). Now when I plug in the values I have...

I[(Xl-Xc)/h (Xc) - (Xl-Xc)/h (Xl) - R^2/h]=V
I[(XcXl-Xc^2)/h - (Xl^2-XcXl)/h - R^2/h]=V
I[(XcXl-Xc^2-Xl^2+XcXl-R^2)/h]=V
I = (Vh)/(XcXl-Xc^2-Xl^2+XcXl-R^2) plug in for h now from above...
I = [V ((R^2+(Xl-Xc)^2)^1/2)] / (XcXl-Xc^2-Xl^2+XcXl-R^2)

This is where I get stuck... I don't know what to do here... This could be better to post in the Mathematics forum. If someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with complex numbers?
The complex impedance is [tex]Z = R + j\omega L - \frac{j}{\omega C}[/tex]
The current is [tex]I = \frac {V}{Z}[/tex]
So, [tex]|I| = \frac{|V|}{|Z|}[/tex]
and phase(I) = phase(V) - phase(Z)

I know that the current is equal to V/Z... We just have to show this using Kirchoff's Laws for circuits. It's part of the assignment that we do it this way.

lylos said:
I know that the current is equal to V/Z... We just have to show this using Kirchoff's Laws for circuits. It's part of the assignment that we do it this way.

Use KVL. [tex]V = R I +j X_L I - j X_C I[/tex]

hey that's cheating, i thought complex variables were out and this was to be done the ole fashioned way:yuck:
JS

It does have to be done the "ole fashioned" way... I have it, I believe... Going to hand it in today, when I get time today I'll post what I found.

Solve the following equation to get I0 = V0 / ( (XL-XC)^2 + R^2 )^1/2.

I0 [(( 1/C – ω2L ) Sin (φ)) + Rω Cos (φ)] = ωV0

Known
Tan (φ) = (XL-XC) / R
XC = 1 / ωC
XL = ωL
Sin (φ) = (XL-XC) / ( [(XL-XC)^2+R2]^1/2)
Cos(φ) = R / ([(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2)

Solution
I0 [Sin(φ)/C - Sin(φ)ω^2L) + RωCos(φ)] = ωV0
Divide both sides by I0 and ω.

[Sin(φ)/ ωC - Sin(φ)ωL) + RCos(φ)] = V0/ I0
Put in XC for 1/ωC and XL for ωL and factor out Sin(φ).

Sin(φ) (XC-XL) + Cos(φ)R = V0/ I0
Put in the values found for Sin(φ) and Cos(φ) from right triangle.

[(XL-XC)^2 / ( [(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2)] + [R^2 / ([(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2)] = V0/ I0
Combine numerators with common denominator.

[(XL-XC)^2 + R^2] / ([(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2) = V0/ I0
Divide numerator into denominator.

([(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2) = V0/ I0
Cross multiply to get I0 equal to an expression.

I0 = V0 / ([(XL-XC)^2+R^2]^1/2)

nice, and for having done so, you'll be all the more appreciative of Laplace transforms and complex variables. Both are very powerful tools for this sort of problem and many others.

1. What is a RLC series circuit?

A RLC series circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) all connected in series. This means that the current flowing through each component is the same and the total voltage across the circuit is the sum of the voltage across each component.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total impedance in a RLC series circuit?

The formula for calculating the total impedance (Z) in a RLC series circuit is Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

3. How does the current behave in a RLC series circuit?

In a RLC series circuit, the current (I) is directly proportional to the applied voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the total impedance (Z). This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and as the impedance increases, the current decreases.

4. What is resonance in a RLC series circuit?

Resonance in a RLC series circuit occurs when the inductive reactance (XL) is equal to the capacitive reactance (XC), resulting in a minimum impedance and maximum current flow. This means that the circuit is most efficient at transferring energy at this point.

5. How does a change in frequency affect the current in a RLC series circuit?

A change in frequency can affect the current in a RLC series circuit by changing the inductive and capacitive reactances, which in turn affects the total impedance. At resonance, the current is at its maximum and any deviation from this frequency will result in a decrease in current.