Finding a power series representation

In summary, to find a power series representation for f(x)=ln(5+x^2), we use the power series representation 1/(1-x) = sum from n=0 to inf. of x^n for abs(x) < 1. We can first integrate the series to get ln(1-q) = sum q^(n+1) / (n+1) and then replace q, or we can manipulate the derivative of ln(5+x^2) to make it look like a geometric series and integrate term by term.
superdave

Homework Statement

Start with the power series representation 1/(1-x) = sum from n=0 to inf. of x^n for abs(x) < 1 to find a power series representation for f(x) and determine the radius of convergence.

f(x)=ln(5+x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I get

1/(1-q)= sum q^n

Now, the problem lies in the fact that x is to a power of 2.

so if q= (-(x^2)-4) I get 1 / (1-(-(x^2)-4)) but if I want to integrate that, now that x is squared, I don't get the ln.

Can I do it the other way?

integrate first to get:

ln (1-q) = sum q^(n+1) / (n+1) and then replace q? I feel like that shouldn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
My thoughts: f'(x) = 2x/(5 + x^2), right? So, keeping in mind that x is a constant term with respect to summation and all the work you've done, how would you write that as an infinite series?

Of course, I haven't done this in a while, so I could be completely wrong. Heh.

Yes. The derivative of ln(5+ x2 is 2x/(5+ x2). Now, you want to make that look like the sum of a geometric series a/(1- r). First, divide both numerator and denominator by 5: (2/5)x/(1+ x^2/5)= (2/5)x/(1- (-x^2/5)). Do see what a and r must be? Once you have the geometric series, integrate term by term to go back to the logarithm.

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. It is typically written in the form of a polynomial, with the variable raised to different powers.

2. Why is finding a power series representation important?

Finding a power series representation allows us to approximate and understand the behavior of a function in a given interval. It also enables us to calculate derivatives and integrals of the function more easily.

3. How do you find a power series representation for a given function?

To find a power series representation, we use the Taylor series expansion. This involves finding the function's derivatives at a specific point and plugging them into the formula for a Taylor series. The resulting series is the power series representation of the function.

4. What are some common examples of power series representations?

Some common examples of power series representations include the Taylor series for trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine), exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. These are often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

5. What are the limitations of using power series representations?

One limitation of power series representations is that they may not always converge to the original function. In some cases, the series may only converge for certain values of the variable, making it less useful for approximating the function in a wider interval. Additionally, the process of finding a power series representation can be time-consuming and difficult for more complex functions.