UMass Amherst vs. Boston University

• Schools
  • Thread starter nealh149
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation discusses the two choices for undergraduate physics programs: BU and UMass. While BU is more expensive, it is located in Boston which is seen as a positive aspect. UMass offers a Bachelor of Science while BU only offers a BA. The speaker is leaning towards UMass but is open to advice. They also mention their plan to attend graduate school and have friends who have had positive experiences at UMass. On the other hand, they have academic friends at BU. The conversation also touches on the social aspect, with one person mentioning the great parties at UMass and another mentioning the fun of drinking in Cambridge. The discussion ends with a question about how it is possible to obtain a BA in a science subject.
nealh149
These are my two choices for undergrad physics right now. BU costs a ton more than UMass, but it's in the middle of boston, which is a plus. UMass campus is alright, but it's in the middle of nowhere. However UMass offers a Bachelor of Science and BU only a BA.

I'm leaning to UMass, but any advice would be sweet.

BTW, I plan to go to grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a good friend who went to UMass-Amherst for undergrad physics. He loved it. He loved everything about the program, the school and the area.

I've got a bunch of friends around the Amherst area who go to UMass -- great parties!

On the other side, I have academic friends at BU.

Although the parties at UMass are great, I'd go to BU -- for the town -- just recalled, drinking in Cambridge is fun too :biggrin:

Actaully, both are really nice places :smile:

How can you get a BA in a science subject? This, surely, makes no sense?

Sojourner01 said:
How can you get a BA in a science subject? This, surely, makes no sense?
Oxford and Cambridge traditionally use BAs for all subjects; BU could have taken their lead.

What is the difference in size between UMass Amherst and Boston University?

UMass Amherst has a larger student population, with approximately 31,000 undergraduate and graduate students, while Boston University has around 18,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

Which university has a better reputation in terms of academics?

This is subjective and can depend on the specific program or department. Both UMass Amherst and Boston University are highly ranked universities in various fields and have strong academic reputations.

What is the cost difference between attending UMass Amherst and Boston University?

The cost of attendance for both universities can vary depending on factors such as residency status and financial aid. Generally, UMass Amherst has a lower cost of attendance compared to Boston University.

Which university has a better location?

This is also subjective and depends on personal preferences. UMass Amherst is located in a small college town in western Massachusetts, while Boston University is located in the city of Boston. Both locations offer their own unique benefits and opportunities.

How do the sports teams at UMass Amherst and Boston University compare?

UMass Amherst and Boston University both have strong Division I athletic programs, but the specific sports and teams may vary. UMass Amherst is known for its football program, while Boston University is known for its ice hockey program.