Perfect fluid, stress energy tensor in the rest frame,

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress energy tensor in the rest frame of a perfect fluid, and how it changes when all the particles in the fluid move in the same direction. It also mentions the limitations of this scenario in reality, as it goes against the principles of classical theory.
Cusp
If I had a perfect fluid I could write the stress energy tensor in the rest frame of the fluid as a nice diagonal tensor with [rho,p,p,p] and use this to solve the field equations.

Pressure is just random internal motions, so what happens if all the particles in my perfect fluid decide to move to the left? Clearly, now I could transofrm into a rest frame with T=[rho,0,0,0] and this would suggest that the resulting spacetime structure we get would be different?

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If all the particles move left, they must be under the influence of a strong field which would certainly have changed the space-time.

But if you moved along the same geodesic as the particles then you would observe T=[rho,0,0,0].

It's unlikely this could happen in reality - not outside star trek.

I'm not positive I understand the question. I think what you may be trying to ask is this:

Suppose we have a swarm of particles

-> -> ->
<- <- <-

in the rest frame of the particles, half of them move to the left with velocity v and half move to the right with velocity v. What is the stress energy tensor for this swarm of particles in the continuum limit?

The answer will be that it is of the form diag(rho, P, 0, 0). P here represents an anisotropic pressure, i.e.

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}

\rho&0&0&0\\
0&P&0&0\\
0&0&0&0\\
0&0&0&0\\

\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]You may be asking instead:

Suppose we have a swarm of particles, all of which move with a uniform velocity v to the right. What is the stress energy tensor of this swarm of particles in the continuum limit?

The answer to this is

[tex]
\left[
\begin{array}{cccc}

\rho&p&0&0\\
p&0&0&0\\
0&0&0&0\\
0&0&0&0\\

\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

here p (not capitalized) is a momentum density rather than a pressure

Note that GR is presented as a classical theory, so you can't have the particles "decide" to do something improbable, if that was the point of your question.

Last edited:

1. What is a perfect fluid?

A perfect fluid is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe a fluid that has no viscosity or internal friction. It is an idealized model that assumes the fluid behaves in a certain way, making it easier to analyze and understand complex systems.

2. How is a perfect fluid different from a real fluid?

A real fluid has viscosity, which means it experiences internal friction and resists flow. A perfect fluid, on the other hand, has no viscosity and can flow without any resistance. This idealized model is used to simplify calculations and understand fluid dynamics in complex systems.

3. What is the stress-energy tensor in the rest frame of a perfect fluid?

The stress-energy tensor in the rest frame of a perfect fluid is a mathematical representation of the energy and momentum of the fluid. It describes the distribution of energy and momentum in the fluid at a given point in time, and how it changes over time.

4. How is the stress-energy tensor related to the properties of a perfect fluid?

The stress-energy tensor is related to the properties of a perfect fluid through the equations of fluid dynamics. These equations describe how the fluid behaves and how its properties, such as density, pressure, and velocity, are related to the stress-energy tensor.

5. Why is the rest frame important when discussing perfect fluids and the stress-energy tensor?

The rest frame is important because it is the frame of reference in which the stress-energy tensor is defined. It is the frame in which the fluid is not moving, and all its properties, such as density and pressure, can be measured. This allows for a more accurate analysis and understanding of the fluid's behavior.