What is the formula for determining the resultant force on a charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the resultant force on a charge due to nearby charges using Coulomb's law. The first problem involves finding the magnitude of the force on a charge with two nearby charges at different distances and directions. The second problem involves finding the position of a test charge where the net force is zero between two other charges. The third problem involves finding the resultant force on a charge due to two nearby charges at different distances and directions. The solution for all three problems involves using Coulomb's law and vector addition.
t_n_p
Homework Statement

1. A charge A of -5 µC has two nearby charges: +3.0 µC at a distance 0.3 m vertically above it, and +4.0 µC at a distance of 0.4 m horizontally. Find the magnitude of the force in Newton on charge A. Hint: find the vertical and horizontal components, then add these vectors to obtain the resultant.

2. Two charges of +1 and +36 nanocoulomb are separated by a distance of 100 mm. A 3rd test charge is moved along the line between these two charges. Where is the test charge when it experiences a net force = zero?

Give your answer in mm measured from the first of the two charges. Hint: think about the ratio of the two charges and deduce a ratio for the distances.
The attempt at a solution

1. Using the formula |F| = k[(|q1||q2|)/r^2)]

I found Fhorizontal = 1.12*10^-6
and Fverticle = 1.5*10^-6

I then use pythag, resultant = sqrt( (F_horizontal)^2 + (F_vertical)^2 )
to give answer of 1.87*10^-6.
I think it may be right, can somebody verify?

2. I'm not sure how to do this one!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Havent checked the values, but the method looks right.

2. Let the distance from the charges at the point where Fnet is zero be (100-x) and x in mm. Now, find the force exerted by each of the charges on your moving charge and equate them. You should get a quadratic in x. Solve for x.

Managed to do those ones, but I've got a new question!

Calculate the resultant force in Newton on the left hand charge q = 12 µC due to charges q = -3 µC at distance 0.1 m to the right and a charge 13 µC at a further distance 0.2 m to the right (measured from the 2nd charge).
Use the correct sign, taking force to the right as positive and to the left as negative.
12 µC......q =-3 µC....... 13 µC

|<------ 0.1 m ----->|<------------ 0.2 m-------------->|

A step by step guide would be very handy! Thanks in advance to anybody who can help

Give it a shot first. Use coulombs law and make a FBD to point yourself in the right direction.

1. What is the formula for resultant force?

The formula for resultant force is F = ma, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of an object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How do I calculate the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object?

To calculate the resultant force of multiple forces acting on an object, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. These laws involve drawing a diagram and using trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resultant force?

The unit of measurement for resultant force is Newtons (N).

4. Can the resultant force be negative?

Yes, the resultant force can be negative. This indicates that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, causing the object to move in the opposite direction of the positive force.

5. How does the direction of the resultant force relate to the direction of the object's motion?

The direction of the resultant force is always in the same direction as the acceleration of the object. Therefore, if the resultant force is positive, the object will be accelerating in the positive direction, and if the resultant force is negative, the object will be accelerating in the negative direction.