Urban Graduate Schools in Physics

In summary, In the US, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, Georgia Tech, University of Washington, MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, UMd (all locations are connected by commuter rail systems) are all good choices for physics graduate school. NYU and CUNY grad programs are also good choices, but they are not as easy to get into. Brown University, Dept of Physics, Providence, RI (private uni.) is a good choice if you want a private university.
tiyusufaly
'Lo all,

I am wondering what are some good physics graduate schools that are in very urban areas. And by urban, I mean has a population density high enough for a frequently used rail system (ie, New York, Chicago, London), and preferably > 500,000 people. Only exception is LA and San Diego. I want to get away from Southern California.

I want schools that are famous and hard to get into, but also I want solid schools that offer good graduate programs but are more possible for humans to get into.

I am interested in condensed matter physics, both experimental and theoretical.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Er... University of Chicago, Columbia University, Georgia Tech, University of Washington... etc... etc. There are tons of them!

Zz.

...and to complete the list (in the US): MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, UMd (all locations are connected by commuter rail systems).

If you want to live without a car, I think you might find Georgia Tech frustrating. Atlanta does have a rail system, but it doesn't serve nearly as many destinations as say Chicago's or New York's, and most bus routes don't run very often. I think there only a couple of bus routes in the whole city that run as often as every fifteen minutes. I can't speak to Georgia Tech itself, but I've visited Atlanta and used its rail and bus system.

Alright. But those are all top 20 or so schools. I also want to know of some schools that are not as difficult to get into, but would nevertheless provide a solid education.

What do you people think of NYU and CUNY grad programs? Would they fit the bill as being easier to get into but still providing a great education in the city?

Binghamton University Physics Department

Again assuming that living without a car is important, I'd like to point out that in many smaller university towns/cities, it's quite possible to do without a car, at least for local transportation, provided that you're able and willing to walk or bicycle a lot.

I went to grad school at the University of Michigan and lived for eight years in Ann Arbor. I owned a car for only about a year and a half there, at the end of my stay. I lived close enough to campus that I could either walk or ride a free university shuttle bus to get to class and work. But usually I rode my bike, which also provided most of my transportation around town. The city is small enough physically that I could easily bicycle most everywhere I wanted to go. When the weather was bad, or I didn't want to take my bike for some reason, I rode the buses; Ann Arbor has a very good bus system for a city its size.

The main problem with not having a car was not having many options for going out of town, except for Detroit and Chicago which I could reach easily by train or bus. I think a couple of times I did rent a car for weekend trips.

Rely on public transportation. I'm in Kansas for an internship, WITHOUT a car. Yes, WITHOUT a car... I'm still managing. It takes 1hr 10min to travel via bus, for a 5.7 mile route. You will have to make some sacrifices.

tiyusufaly said:
Alright. But those are all top 20 or so schools. I also want to know of some schools that are not as difficult to get into, but would nevertheless provide a solid education.

What do you people think of NYU and CUNY grad programs? Would they fit the bill as being easier to get into but still providing a great education in the city?

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/physics/

maybe wayne state university? You'll get a solid graduate education there. Only problem is it's in Detroit. Otherwise, the faculty and people there are very friendly and supportive.

Hmm, WSU for physics...

DefaultName said:
WSU sucks.

:rolleyes: It's not a bad school. Some solid research is going on there. It is actually quite underrated due to its location.

And he said he wanted schools that were a bit more feasible to get accepted to.

Last edited:
Yea WSU is a good suggestion. I don't think it "sucks" at all. Thanks leright, that is interesting.

But does Detroit have a good mass transit system?

tiyusufaly said:
But does Detroit have a good mass transit system?

No. Not at all. This is a major downside. :tongue:

But what field of physics are you interested in? If you're interested in Elementary particle physics experiment or theory then WSU has a lot going on. Thgey are alsl doing a lot of nuclear and condensed matter stuff.

BTW, I'm just an REU there. I don't go to school there.

Last edited:
UPenn has a very good condensed matter program, but isn't quite as impossible to get into as the other big name schools listed above. Philadelphia has a pathetic mass transit system, but it's a great walking city, and it has a new car sharing program that is pretty cheap and convenient for occasional trips out of the city. Most grad students I know here don't own cars.

I don't know if he's just planning on living without a car or wants to live in a city or maybe both?

umass amherst has a good physics department (very good in condensed matter), and has a very good bus system. When I'm up at school my car sits in the parking lot and only gets used if I have to make a road trip, its far easier to use the bus system to get around. Also because the town is essentially built around the local colleges everything is very compact.But I won't kid you there isn't much of a city in amherst, allthough about 6 miles from Amherst is Northhampton which could qualify as a city.

Why not Mcgill in Montreal city ?

1. What is an urban graduate school in physics?

An urban graduate school in physics is a higher education institution that offers advanced degrees in physics, typically at the master's or doctoral level. These schools are located in urban areas, such as cities, and often have a focus on research and practical applications of physics in real-world settings.

2. What are the benefits of attending an urban graduate school in physics?

There are several benefits to attending an urban graduate school in physics. These schools often have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, as well as collaborations with industry and research organizations. Being located in an urban area also provides opportunities for internships, networking, and career advancement.

3. What types of courses and research opportunities are available at urban graduate schools in physics?

Urban graduate schools in physics offer a wide range of courses in various subfields of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and biophysics. They also provide opportunities for research in cutting-edge areas of physics, such as nanotechnology, renewable energy, and particle physics.

4. What are the admissions requirements for urban graduate schools in physics?

Admissions requirements vary depending on the specific school, but typically include a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some schools may also require a statement of purpose and/or an interview.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of urban graduate schools in physics?

Graduates of urban graduate schools in physics have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including research positions in academia, government, and industry. They may also pursue careers in fields such as engineering, data science, finance, and education. Many graduates also go on to pursue further education, such as postdoctoral positions or teaching roles.