Exploring Nuclear and Particle Physics: Selecting an Undergrad Thesis Design

In summary, the author is interested in doing a thesis on a specific topic, but is unsure of what to do. They are also new to the field and may not be well-equipped to do original research.
Yrrepy
Hi, I'm currently selecting my 4th year undergrad thesis design (its all technical/theoretical no hands on work). A couple of the topics given strike my fancy, but I'm particularly interested in Nuclear and Particle Physics of which they're are few topics given for us to choose from. We are allowed to present our own thesis topics however.

Sooo, I've looked around a bit and havn't found too much besides possibly some topics on bubble chambers or other particle detectors (or particle beams) and such. Might anyone have any suggestions (on general topic ideas)?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much physics have you had?

What level of thesis is this supposed to be? Are you expected to undertake original research?

An interesting one might be: (if you have had a semester of QFT)

Quantize this field equation (hbar=c=1):
[tex] (\Box^2 - m^2) \psi = 0 [/tex]

Determine if it obeys causality (do the field operators at space-like separated points commute)?. What happens to this field if you pump energy into it?

Just an idea off the top of my head that might be fun at your level.

haha, definitely not at my level. I'm in my last year of my undergrad in engineering physics, I've taken quantum theories up to perturbation, nuclear & particle physics, physics of nuclear reactors, general relativity, E & M (not covariant/relativist formalism) classical mechanics (lagrangian), tons o math, taking solid state physics, will be taking advanced quantum (not second quantitization i believe) and nano science,
(thats just a list of my upper tier physics courses)

It's more of a design/technical (engineering) thesis (designing some apparatus etc but not building it).

Well...

You might consider requesting this be moved to the Engineering forum then. Especially if you are looking to do more of a nuclear engineering project.

oh no, I'm much more interested in doing something along the lines of particle physics, like some component or some form of detector and an analysis of it.

I suppose you could argue this should be in the engineering section...

maybe you can check something out of the Babar decector, that is searching for CP violation i B-meson decay?

An analysis of a detector can be a huge undertaking. Have a look at the computer codes GEANT4, FLUKA, and MCNPX. These are computer codes used in detector validation.

How about an alternative mechanism for 'splitting' a given Ryberg atom. (I am totally just freeballing, by the way)

Last edited:
This one I just thought of---it may be a bit over your head, but if you have a few months to work on it, it would give you some good experience.

Suppose you could build an accelerator at the Planck scale and preform a scattering experiment, and that string theory was right. What would the experimental signatures look like? You'd also have to assume that you could SEE the states being produced, but it might be interesting to learn a few things.

Basically, you'd have to figure out what the kaluza klein states would look like in ten dimensions. My guess is that much of this analysis has already been done by the ADD gravity people, but your mode spacing would be a bit different.

1. What is the difference between nuclear physics and particle physics?

Nuclear physics is the study of the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei, while particle physics is the study of the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. Nuclear physics focuses on the interactions between protons and neutrons within the nucleus, while particle physics examines the interactions between the smallest particles, such as quarks and leptons.

2. How do I choose a suitable design for my undergraduate thesis in nuclear and particle physics?

When selecting a thesis design, it is important to consider your interests, available resources, and the guidance of your advisor. You may also consider current research trends and potential for future impact in the field. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and have the necessary skills and resources to conduct the research.

3. What are some common techniques and equipment used in nuclear and particle physics research?

Some common techniques used in nuclear and particle physics research include particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. Particle accelerators are used to accelerate particles to high energies, allowing scientists to study their behavior. Detectors are used to measure the properties of particles and their interactions. Computer simulations are also commonly used to model and analyze the behavior of particles.

4. How do nuclear and particle physicists contribute to society?

Nuclear and particle physicists contribute to society in many ways, including advancing our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe, developing new technologies and medical treatments, and ensuring the safety and security of nuclear energy and weapons. They also play a crucial role in training the next generation of scientists and engineers.

5. Are there any ethical concerns related to nuclear and particle physics research?

As with any field of science, there may be ethical concerns related to nuclear and particle physics research. These may include issues such as the potential impact of nuclear energy on the environment, the use of particle accelerators in weapons development, and the responsible handling and disposal of nuclear waste. It is important for scientists to consider these ethical implications and work towards responsible and ethical practices in their research.