Newton's Third Law - Interacting Systems

In summary, a 1.0 kg block is tied to a wall with a rope and is on top of a 2.0 kg block. The lower block is pulled to the right with a tension force of 20 N and the coefficient of kinetic friction at both surfaces of the lower block is 0.500. The goal is to find the tension in the rope and the acceleration of the lower block. By drawing force diagrams and calculating net forces, the tension was found to be 20 N and the acceleration to be 2.65 m/s. The mistake in the calculations was using incorrect values for the friction forces.
mantillab

Homework Statement

The 1.0 kg block in the figure (attached) is tied to the wall with a rope. It sits on top of the 2.0 kg block. The lower block is pulled to the right with a tension force of 20 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction at both the lower and upper surfaces of the 2.0 kg block is mu_k = 0.500.

What is the tension in the rope holding the 1.0 kg block to the wall?
What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

F_a on b = -F_b on a
a_ax = - a_bx

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing force diagrams for both boxes and then calculating the net force in the x-direction for each box.

For box 1:
Fnet x = -T_1 - (mu_k)(n) = -1T_1 - (0.5)(9.8)(1) = -1T_1 - 4.9

For box 2:
Fnet x = T_2 - 2(mu_k)(n) = 20 - (2)(0.5)(20.6) = -0.6

At this point, I've tried to find the acceleration by setting the Fnet = ma, but get the wrong answer for the acceleration and solving for T_1. Anyone know where I may be making the mistake?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_08_27.jpg
    knight_Figure_08_27.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 834
Physics news on Phys.org
mantillab said:
F_a on b = -F_b on a
a_ax = - a_bx
The first equation's true but the second is not: the top box doesn't accelerate.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing force diagrams for both boxes and then calculating the net force in the x-direction for each box.

For box 1:
Fnet x = -T_1 - (mu_k)(n) = -1T_1 - (0.5)(9.8)(1) = -1T_1 - 4.9
(1) Careful with signs: What direction does the friction act?
(2) What does the net force equal?

For box 2:
Fnet x = T_2 - 2(mu_k)(n) = 20 - (2)(0.5)(20.6) = -0.6
Recompute the friction forces. Realize that there are two friction forces acting on box 2, but they are not the same; write each one separately.

The first equation's true but the second is not: the top box doesn't accelerate.

Doc Al said:
(1) Careful with signs: What direction does the friction act?
(2) What does the net force equal?

Recompute the friction forces. Realize that there are two friction forces acting on box 2, but they are not the same; write each one separately.

Thanks! I rewrote the Fnet as you suggested:

Box 1: Fnetx = (mu_k)(n) - T1 = 4.9 - T1
Box 2: Fnetx = T2 - (mu_k)(9.8)(1) - (mu_k)(9.8)(2) = 5.3

I set Box 1 Fnet = 0 and was able to solve for the first part of the problem.

For the second part of the problem (finding the acceleration of box 2), I tried to use:
Fnet = (m)(a) = 5.3 = (2)(a)
which gave me 2.65 m/s for acceleration, which was incorrect.

I'm assuming I have to use the Fnet for box 2 because it does have a net force, unlike box 1. Did I calculate Fnetx for box 2 incorrectly?

mantillab said:
Box 1: Fnetx = (mu_k)(n) - T1 = 4.9 - T1
Box 2: Fnetx = T2 - (mu_k)(9.8)(1) - (mu_k)(9.8)(2) = 5.3
That second friction force is incorrect. Hint: What's the total force that box 2 exerts on the floor?

Doc Al said:
That second friction force is incorrect. Hint: What's the total force that box 2 exerts on the floor?

Thanks so much! I had just realized that I had to change the mass somewhere when you replied. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, they exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

How does Newton's Third Law apply to interacting systems?

In interacting systems, the forces between the objects are always equal and opposite. For example, if you push on a wall, the wall will push back on you with the same amount of force.

Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law in action?

One example of Newton's Third Law is a rocket launching. The rocket exerts a force downward on the gas from its engines, and the gas exerts an equal and opposite force upward on the rocket, propelling it into the air.

What is the significance of Newton's Third Law in physics?

Newton's Third Law is important in physics because it explains how forces work in interacting systems. It helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law?

While Newton's Third Law is a fundamental principle in physics, there are some situations where it may appear to not hold true. For example, in certain cases of friction, the forces may not be exactly equal and opposite due to external factors.