Home Network Setup Help - XP & Vista on D-Link Router

In summary, -The two PCs are on the same network, but they can't see each other-One of the PCs is on XP and the other is on Vista-The XP PC has a dLink router and the Vista PC doesn't-The XP PC has a firewall turned on and the Vista PC doesn't-The XP PC can't ping the Vista PC, but the Vista PC can ping the XP PC-The XP PC can see the Vista PC in the network neighbourhood, but the Vista PC can't see the XP PC-The XP PC can see shared folders on the Vista PC, but the Vista PC can't see the XP PC's shared folders-The XP PC can
Oblio
Hey all,

I'm trying to set up a home network. I have two PC's, one on xp and one on vista, on a dLink router.

I have both computers set to the workgroup 'WORKGROUP', and I attempted to set up LAN, but I really don't know much about this and neither computer is seeing each other, and the printer (connected to vista, set to sharing) also won't work.

any tips or ideas?

Greatly appreciated! thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
to expand,
on vista:
i checked that the private network setting was enabled,
i have no firewall,
yes its all connected to the router :)

Last edited:
I guess this is what I should've expected on a physics forum eh? :P

Do they have static IP addresses or is the router doing DHCP.
Can you ping the other computer.
Can you see the other computer in 'network neighbourhood'

the router is set to DHCP and I haven't been able to see either computer in the neighbourhood.. pinging I'm going to try when I get home...

I set up a home network recently with the same configuration - 1 Vista machine hard wired and 1 XP wireless. You didn't mention if your network is hardwired or wireless and the procedure for each is a bit different. Also how are you connecting to the internet. Do you have one machine sharing it's connection with the other or are you using a residential gateway to give each computer it's own connection? If the latter are both machines connecting to the internet okay?Whichever way you are networking you need to first link both machines to your router and then enter the network key and set the sharing options on public folders so both computers can access them.

Note before you can see both machines on the Vista network map you will need to download an update from MS for the XP machine although this will not stop you having access to shared folders or devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's different wireless vs hardwire but I figure you already know the ipconfig /all and how to ping- Once you get a computer to communicate with the router you get the ip of the router open up IE explorer and put the ip in the address bar it should bring up your Admin utility's which can really help-also the d link customer service people are great walking you through the whole process via phone or by chat.

Oblio said:
the router is set to DHCP and I haven't been able to see either computer in the neighbourhood.. pinging I'm going to try when I get home...
Windows default has the firewall turned 'ON'. You will not be able to see the computer with the firewall on. Turn it off.

The router should have a firewall in it.

Beware that XP's network wizard is not real tolerant of some Linksys software/drivers, and may not play well with others. My wife has my old computer (pretty much stripped/wiped, so she uses it for Internet access for recipes, etc) and XP's wizard cannot address the wireless port. Everything has to be configured manually with the software that came with the wireless hardware. I spent a LOT of hours sorting through those problems.

1. Can I set up a home network with both Windows XP and Vista operating systems?

Yes, it is possible to set up a home network with both Windows XP and Vista operating systems. However, you may encounter compatibility issues and may need to make some adjustments during the setup process.

2. What is a D-Link router and why should I use it for my home network?

A D-Link router is a device that allows multiple devices to connect to the internet and communicate with each other through a local area network (LAN). It is a popular choice for home networks because it is easy to set up and offers reliable performance.

3. What are the basic steps for setting up a home network with a D-Link router?

The basic steps for setting up a home network with a D-Link router are as follows:

1. Connect the router to your modem and power source.
  2. Connect your devices (computers, printers, etc.) to the router using Ethernet cables.
  3. Access the router's configuration page through a web browser and follow the setup wizard.
  4. Create a network name (SSID) and secure it with a password.
  5. Configure network settings for each device, such as IP addresses and network sharing permissions.

4. Do I need any additional software or tools to set up a home network with a D-Link router?

No, you do not need any additional software or tools to set up a home network with a D-Link router. All you need is a computer or mobile device with a web browser and an Ethernet cable to connect to the router.

5. What can I do if I encounter problems during the setup process?

If you encounter problems during the setup process, you can try restarting your devices and router, checking all connections, and resetting the router to its default settings. You can also consult the router's user manual or contact D-Link customer support for further assistance.