Thermometer homework question

In summary, the thermometer reads -0.3 degrees Celsius at ice point and 100.6 degrees Celsius at steam point. Using the equations 0 = A - 0.3b and 100 = A + 100.6b, we can solve for A and B to get the equation Tc = 0.2973 + 0.991X. By plugging in the given temperature of 18.2 degrees Celsius for X, we can find the true temperature of the thermometer to be 18.33 degrees Celsius.
poloboy
a thermometer reads -.3 degrees celsius at ice point and 100.6 degrees celsius at steam point. find the true temperature of a thermometer if thermometer read 18.2 degree celsius

The Attempt at a Solution

this is actually a simple math question that i need a little help with. i know what the answer is because it was give in a student hand book but what i couldn't find is how the book came to the conclusions from equation (A and B) to get equation (C). If someone could point me in the mathmatical direction, it would be great

(A) 0 = A + b (-0.3)
(B) 100 = A + b (100.6)
solving A and B
Tc = A +bX = 0.2973 + 0.991X <-- how did they get A and B here?

where X = 18.2
and from equation Tc the true temperature is 18.33degrees celsius

Physics news on Phys.org
So your equations are:

[tex]0 = A - 0.3b[/tex]

&

[tex]100 = A + 100.6b[/tex]

You can multiply your top equation by [tex]\frac{100.6}{0.3}[/tex] and then add the two equations together :P

Let me know how you get on...
Sam

i don't get it :|

i think i got the answer but how come we go 100.6/0.3?

Equations smayshions - I don't see it that way at all.
Firstly intuitively. Ice point is 0 degress C and Steam point is 100 degrees C, spanning 100 degrees.
The thermometer reads -0.3 degrees and +100.6 degrees corresponding, spanning 100.9 degrees.
A span of a real degree is only (100/100.9) of the indicated degrees.
To get it up from -0.3 to 18.2 shifted it by 18.5 indicated degrees
This moved the real degrees by 18.5*(100/100.9) = =18.335 (OK - so round it down)

The "equation" we are talking about is the straight line Tc=(100/100.9)*Ti+C ... The slope is 100/100.9
One solution is at Tc=0, where Ti=-0.3 Solve for C to get C = 0.29732408
So we have Tc = (100/100.9)*Ti +0.29732408
Input Ti=18.2, It outputs 18.33

1. What is a thermometer?

A thermometer is a scientific instrument used to measure temperature. It typically consists of a glass or plastic tube containing a liquid (such as mercury or alcohol) that expands or contracts based on changes in temperature.

2. How does a thermometer work?

A thermometer works by using the principle of thermal expansion. When the temperature increases, the liquid inside the thermometer expands and rises up the tube. When the temperature decreases, the liquid contracts and moves down the tube.

3. What are the different types of thermometers?

There are several different types of thermometers, including liquid-filled, digital, infrared, and bimetallic. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications.

4. How accurate are thermometers?

The accuracy of a thermometer depends on various factors, such as the type of thermometer, the quality of the materials used, and the calibration of the instrument. Generally, most thermometers have an accuracy of within 1 degree Celsius.

5. How can I calibrate a thermometer?

To calibrate a thermometer, you can use a known temperature source (such as a boiling water bath or an ice water bath) and adjust the thermometer accordingly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for calibration to ensure accuracy.