Stupid Tabular Method for Integration by parts

In summary: Tabular Method for solving the integral of x^2e^{-5x}dx. They have provided a repeated differentiation and integration for the function. After a discussion, Casey realizes their mistake and corrects their solution to be -\frac{x^2}{5}e^{-5x}-\frac{2x}{25}e^{-5x}-\frac{2}{125}e^{-5x}+C. In summary, the correct way to use the Tabular Method for solving this integral is to form the product of the functions and then multiply by +1 or -1 before adding all of the terms.
Saladsamurai
Is this the correct way to use the Tabular Method for
[tex]\int x^2e^{-5x}dx[/tex]

repeated diff:

[tex]x^2[/tex]

[tex]2x[/tex]

[tex]2[/tex]

repeated Integration:

[tex]e^{-5x}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{5}e^{-5x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{25}e^{-5x}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{125}e^{-5x}[/tex]

=[tex]-\frac{x^2}{5}e^{-5x}+\frac{2x}{25}e^{-5x}+\frac{2}{125}e^{-5x}+C[/tex]

I hate this.

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
yes but the signs of the 2nd/3rd terms are wrong.

You should write out the table and include the alternating +/-

writing it out this way might be easier to do since all you do is read across to find the terms
Code:
          [tex]e^{-5x}[/tex]
+   [tex]x^2[/tex]   [tex]\frac{-e^{-5x}}{5}[/tex]

-   [tex]2x[/tex]   [tex]\frac{e^{-5x}}{25}[/tex]

Then I clearly have no idea what I am doing. I am looking at the tabular method in my book, and from what i have read I take the diagonal product of x^2*(-1/5)e^{-5x} and then ADD it to the next product of 2x*(1/25)e^{-5x} and now subtract the product of 2*(-1/125)e^{-5x}

Am I off on all of them by a step?

OHHHH...I get it ...form the product then multiply by +1 or -1 THEN add all of the terms...that makes sense. so it is

[tex]-\frac{x^2}{5}e^{-5x}-\frac{2x}{25}e^{-5x}-\frac{2}{125}e^{-5x}+C[/tex]

Casey

1. What is the Stupid Tabular Method for Integration by Parts?

The Stupid Tabular Method for Integration by Parts is an alternative method for solving integration problems that involves creating a table and following a specific pattern to find the solution.

2. How does the Stupid Tabular Method work?

The Stupid Tabular Method works by creating a table with two columns labeled "u" and "dv." The first row of the "u" column contains the term from the original function that you want to integrate, and the first row of the "dv" column contains the derivative of that term. Then, you continue to fill in the table by taking the derivative of the "u" term and integrating the "dv" term until you reach a row where both columns are either constants or can be easily integrated. Finally, you use a specific pattern to solve for the integral.

3. What are the benefits of using the Stupid Tabular Method?

The Stupid Tabular Method can be a helpful tool for solving integration problems that involve functions with multiple terms. It can also be faster and more organized than using the traditional integration by parts method.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Stupid Tabular Method?

While the Stupid Tabular Method can be a useful tool, it may not work for all integration problems. Some functions may not follow the specific pattern needed for this method to work effectively, and it may be more time-consuming to try and force the method to work for those cases.

5. How can I learn more about the Stupid Tabular Method?

There are several online resources and tutorials available that explain the Stupid Tabular Method in more detail. You can also practice solving integration problems using this method to become more familiar with it. Additionally, consulting with a math tutor or professor can also be helpful in understanding and mastering this method.