How to calculate program execution time?

In summary, There are several methods that can be used to display the time it takes for a program to execute in milliseconds. These include QueryPerformanceCounter(), GetProcessTimes(), and clock(). On Windows XP, clock() reports time in milliseconds but is based on a 64hz ticker. Additionally, the time command can be used on UNIX based systems. If using C#, the recommended approach is to use a profiler, which can time each function in the code and identify any problem areas. These profilers can be found by searching for '.net profiler' online.
CodeMonkey
I'm using VS and coding in Java, C++ and C#. What are the methods to use to display the time it takes for the program to execute in ms?

Technology news on Phys.org
I've used the following:

QueryPerformanceCounter()
Highest resolution timer, but includes overhead from other tasks. Still I found it to be the best. Using SetThreadPriority() to bump up priority should reduce overhead from other tasks.

GetProcessTimes()
Supposed to exclude overhead from other processes, but seems to include interrupt overhead. timeBeginPeriod() (requires a later timeEndPeriod()) can be used increase the tick rate, but this also seems to increase the reported time, indicating that interrupt overhead is included in the process times.

clock()
A more generic time call. On Windows XP, reports time in milliseconds, but appears to be based on a 64hz ticker.

It is quite easy to do it on a UNIX based system. You can make use of the time command. I've found a very interesting paper that talks about program execution time:
http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/public/ch9-preview.pdf

Sorry I shouldve added that I'm new to this. Can you please tell me which namespace, class and methods to use in Csharp?

If this is a critical app, consider profiling. There are profilers for all of .NET.

Profilers time each function in your code so you can see where you have problems. There are java profilers as well. Some are free or have trial periods.

google for '.net profiler'

1. How do I measure the execution time of a program?

To measure the execution time of a program, you can use a timer function in your programming language. This function will record the current time before and after the program runs, and then calculate the difference between the two times.

2. What is the unit of measurement for program execution time?

The unit of measurement for program execution time is usually milliseconds (ms), but it can also be measured in seconds (s) or nanoseconds (ns) depending on the precision required.

3. Can I calculate the execution time of a specific function within a program?

Yes, you can calculate the execution time of a specific function within a program by using the same timer function before and after the function is called, and then subtracting the two times to get the execution time of that function only.

4. How accurate are program execution time calculations?

The accuracy of program execution time calculations depends on the precision of the timer function and the processing power of the computer. Generally, they are accurate to within a few milliseconds.

5. Can I improve the execution time of my program?

Yes, there are various techniques and algorithms that can be used to improve the execution time of a program. Some common strategies include optimizing code, using efficient data structures, and parallelizing tasks.