How to find the number of excess electrons?

• Thread starter pebbles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, when determining the number of excess electrons on a ball with a charge of -4.00*10^-17 C, it is important to keep in mind that charge is quantized and must be a multiple of the elementary charge, 1.60*10^-19 C. By dividing the charge by the elementary charge, the number of excess electrons can be calculated. In this case, the correct answer is 2.5*10^2 electrons.
pebbles

Homework Statement

How many excess electrons are on a ball with a charge of -4.00*10^-17 C?

Homework Equations

I know that the charge per electron is 1.60 *10^-19C.

The Attempt at a Solution

My textbook does not explain how to do this, but I thought I would divide-->4.00*10^-17 C * 1 electron/-1.60*10^-19. I got -2.5*10^-36. The answer from the book is 2.5*10^2 electrons.
I did some messing around and did this-->4.00*10^-17C*1 e/1.60*10^19C=2.5*10^2 electrons.
What's the correct way to do this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set-up is right and the units will check. But how do you divide

4.0 x 10^-17 / 1.6 x 10^-19 ?

What is 1 / 1.6 x 10^-19 ?

(In fact, your check is also incorrect. You may want to review how division works with powers of ten and what negative exponents mean. 10^-17 / 10^-19 = 100 ; 10^-17 / 10^19 = 10^-36 .)

uhh, I'm confused....?

You're dividing by 1.6 x .0000000000000000001 . So 4 / 1.6 is 2.5 , but what is

10^-17 / 10^-19 =

0.00000000000000001 / 0.0000000000000000001 ?

oh i see!
10^-17/10^-19=100
so therefore 2.5*10^2.
thanks so much! :D

Charge is quantized so the excess charge has to be a multiple of e (elementary charge)

q=ne, where n is the number of electrons.

That's why it works I believe since your textbook didn't explain it.

Likes HRubss

1. How do I determine the number of excess electrons in a system?

The number of excess electrons in a system can be determined by calculating the difference between the number of electrons in the system and the number of electrons in a neutral state. This can be done using a variety of methods such as spectroscopy or electron counting techniques.

2. What is the significance of finding the number of excess electrons?

Finding the number of excess electrons is important in understanding the charge balance and properties of a system. It can provide insight into the behavior and reactivity of materials, as well as potential applications in fields such as electronics and energy storage.

3. Can the number of excess electrons change over time?

Yes, the number of excess electrons in a system can change due to various factors such as environmental conditions, chemical reactions, and external stimuli. It is important to regularly monitor and analyze the number of excess electrons in a system to understand its dynamic behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to determining the number of excess electrons?

There can be limitations to determining the number of excess electrons, depending on the method used. For instance, some techniques may not be sensitive enough to accurately measure very small numbers of excess electrons. It is important to carefully select the appropriate method for each specific case.

5. How can I use the number of excess electrons to predict the properties of a material?

The number of excess electrons can provide valuable information about the electronic structure and properties of a material. By understanding the charge balance, it is possible to predict the material's conductivity, energy levels, and other electronic properties. This information can be used to guide material design and development for specific applications.