Mass, weight, acceleration, motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of understanding basic blocks of physics, particularly the relationship between mass and acceleration, and weight. The concept of gravity and its effects on weight are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the relationship between linear and rotary motion. The summary also includes an explanation of the formula W=mg, which relates weight to mass and acceleration due to gravity.
charanshah09
Hi,

I am confused with the basic blocks. These are meant to be known the way we know alphabets but I am not able to. I was just reading this fat physics book Serway Jewett but things are confusing

1. Mass is inversly proportional to acceleration, Ok i agreed then the book speaks about gravity acceleration still here things are cool understood then the author says the acceleration(gravity) is maximum at the center of the Earth and tends to decrease as it moves away ok...and he says the weight as well decreases WHY? Author said mass and acceleration are inversly proportional...and it also says weight is directly proportional to mass...I can visualise what he is saying and tends to be right but with equations na not understanding I feel as if I'm tangled with this. Someone entangle me out of this mystery. And also i would like to know the relation between the linear motion and rotary motion.

Kindly help me through this I would be very greatful

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
W=mg
Weight (N) = Mass (Kg) * acceleration due to gravity.
As you move further away from the Earth its gravitational field gets weeker so the weight would get less. I think that's what you were asking.

I can understand how these concepts can be confusing. Let me try to explain them in a simpler way.

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains. It is a property of an object and does not change based on its location. On the other hand, weight is the force exerted by gravity on an object. It depends on the mass of the object and the gravitational acceleration at that location. So, the weight of an object will be different on Earth and on the moon, even if its mass remains the same.

The reason for weight decreasing as you move away from the center of the Earth is because the gravitational force also decreases with distance. This is why the acceleration due to gravity is maximum at the center of the Earth and decreases as you move away from it.

Now, coming to the relationship between linear and rotary motion, these are two types of motion that can occur in an object simultaneously. Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, while rotary motion is when an object rotates around an axis. These two types of motion are connected through the concept of angular velocity, which is the rate of change of angle with respect to time. This can be seen in objects like wheels or gears, where linear motion of the object is connected to its rotary motion.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. Remember, understanding these concepts takes time and practice. Keep studying and asking questions, and you will eventually untangle this mystery.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant and does not change with location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time period.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

What is the relationship between mass and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it at a certain rate.