Measure High Voltage using Coil Inductor

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, you can measure the voltage and current across the high voltage wire using the dimensions and electrical properties of the components.
Emreth
Hi everybody,
I need to indirectly measure the high voltage across a wire, which is one of the leads to a spark gap. I ran the wire through a coil inductor(air core) and measured the voltage across the coil leads with an oscilloscope when i get the spark. I also connected a resistor in series with the coil wires and measured the voltage across the resistor with the oscilloscope to get the current (all as a function of time). Can I calculate the voltage and current across the high voltage wire using the dimensions and electrical properties of the components?(inductance,etc). thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure if this helps but you will have a primary coil and a secondary coil the ratio of the voltages is the same as the ratio of turn in each coil. V1/V2 = N1/N2. So if you know the number of turns in each coil you can calculate the voltage. I am pretty sure that the current will be in the same ratio but inverse i.e. V1/V2 = I2/I1.

Hi
I don't want to do it through a transformer setup. I'm afraid the current might be too high in the secondary coil.Besides i need to find the efficiency and stuff.Just trying to keep it simple.

Emreth said:
Hi everybody,
I need to indirectly measure the high voltage across a wire, which is one of the leads to a spark gap. I ran the wire through a coil inductor(air core) and measured the voltage across the coil leads with an oscilloscope when i get the spark. I also connected a resistor in series with the coil wires and measured the voltage across the resistor with the oscilloscope to get the current (all as a function of time). Can I calculate the voltage and current across the high voltage wire using the dimensions and electrical properties of the components?(inductance,etc). thanks

What is the bandwidth of the HV signal? If it is fairly low frequency or DC, you can use a low-frequency HV probe with your oscilloscope:

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/A...ukeUnitedStates&Category=VPROBE(FlukeProducts)

You can even make one yourself (be careful!):

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/hvprobe.htm

Hey
I thought about that, yeah its just a single pulse dc.But its a very short pulse, like 100 microseconds or something.Its more like a sawtooth signal so maybe i should consider it ac.The problem is I live on a small island..seriously..so i can't get a probe.Maybe i should make one, tho I'm trying to make this whole thing simple and basic as possible.

Emreth said:
Hi everybody,

Emreth said:
Hey
I thought about that, yeah its just a single pulse dc.But its a very short pulse, like 100 microseconds or something.Its more like a sawtooth signal so maybe i should consider it ac.The problem is I live on a small island..seriously..so i can't get a probe.Maybe i should make one, tho I'm trying to make this whole thing simple and basic as possible.

Are you trying to measure at what voltage the spark gap breaks down for different dielectrics or something of that sort? If not, then you can probably just measure the distance between the spark gap electrodes and using the dielectric constant for air, just arrive at the voltage applied. This should give you a rough figure of the voltage. (Note: since you live on an island, do not use the dielectric constant for dry air.)

Bhejafry7486 said:
Are you trying to measure at what voltage the spark gap breaks down for different dielectrics or something of that sort? If not, then you can probably just measure the distance between the spark gap electrodes and using the dielectric constant for air, just arrive at the voltage applied. This should give you a rough figure of the voltage. (Note: since you live on an island, do not use the dielectric constant for dry air.)

I think you meant the breakdown voltage, as described by the Paschen curve. Here's a reference to that info for the OP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_Law

berkeman said:
I think you meant the breakdown voltage, as described by the Paschen curve. Here's a reference to that info for the OP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_Law

yup, that's what I meant.

thanks guys but this is for a journal paper.i'm sure referees will grill me for estimates based on the spark distances.i need something more direct than that. i didnt want to derive the equations for the setup i specified but i guess i have to do that. I thought it would be a common example on textbooks and stuff but i couldn't find it online really.

1. How does a coil inductor measure high voltage?

A coil inductor measures high voltage by converting the electrical energy into magnetic energy. When high voltage is applied to the coil, it creates a strong magnetic field around the coil. The strength of this magnetic field is directly proportional to the voltage applied. The inductor then measures this magnetic field and calculates the corresponding voltage.

2. What types of coil inductors are used for measuring high voltage?

There are two types of coil inductors commonly used for measuring high voltage: air-core inductors and iron-core inductors. Air-core inductors have a low inductance value and are suitable for measuring high frequency voltages. Iron-core inductors, on the other hand, have a higher inductance value and are more suitable for measuring low frequency voltages.

3. How accurate are coil inductors in measuring high voltage?

The accuracy of a coil inductor in measuring high voltage depends on various factors such as the type of inductor, the quality of the core material, and the calibration of the measuring device. Generally, coil inductors have a high accuracy rate of around 95-98%.

4. Can a coil inductor measure both AC and DC high voltage?

Yes, a coil inductor can measure both AC and DC high voltage. However, the type of inductor used may vary depending on the type of voltage being measured. For example, an air-core inductor is more suitable for measuring AC high voltage, while an iron-core inductor is better for measuring DC high voltage.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a coil inductor for high voltage measurement?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be followed when using a coil inductor for high voltage measurement. It is important to ensure that the inductor is properly insulated and shielded to prevent any electrical shocks. Additionally, the inductor should be handled carefully and only by trained professionals to avoid any accidents.