Is research the right career path for me?

In summary, the REU in solid state physics was disappointing because the progress went very slowly, the theory was interesting but the experiments were not very interesting, and the motivation for the experiments was lacking. It sounds like the lab mate who was working with you was more engaged than you were. It's possible to be motivated to do research, but you need to be excited by the project to be successful.
proton
I just finished my REU in solid state physics and must say that it was a little disappointing. I did some theoretical, but mostly experimental work. Though the theory behind it sounded very interesting when I first heard about the project, it turned out that our progress went very slowly, much slower than I expected. In addition, I did not find most of the work that my prof assigned to me to be very interesting or fun, as I had to use microsoft paint and excel alot. Also, I definitely feel that I'm not destined for experimental work because I certainly lacked motivation for experiments. For example, the other undergrad student working with me seemed a lot more interested in the lab equipment and was always thinking of different ways to solve the problems with the project. he was motivated to do more than what the prof assigned to him, whereas I wasnt. I heard that a career in research is only for those who absolutely LOVE the work and are willing to undergo the many frustrations with little things and equipment not working. also, they think about the project on their free time. again, i found the project to be interesting and fun, but not that fun, and i LIKED it but didnt LOVE it

or, is the case that I'm just not cut out to be an experimental physicist, but maybe research as a theoretical physicsit or mathematician ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Motivation isn't something that just happens; no one is completely engaged in their project all the time. To me, it sounds like your lab mate made the best of the situation though; he might not have loved the project either, but he wanted to take something away from the experience.

So it's not a matter of the job not inspiring you, but you not being inspired by the job. If you weren't inspired working in an experimental lab, I see no reason to pursue experiment, but if you're expecting to only work on things that drive you to the heights of intellectual satisfaction constantly then I see no reason to pursue physics at all.

Machines. these wondrous things, that do all the necessary and the unnecessary work for us humans. If I could, I would collect them. Like having a bit of a machine-park in my backyard.

But did I like machines before my engineering-studies? No not really. I wasn't that positive in that sense of technology.

I actually find it soothing for the soul to tinker with lab equipment, machines at work that doesn't function properly, maybe taking a small afterhours course in lathe operations (turning), drilling, sawing that kinds of stuff. The prospect of building something new is like exploring the galaxy, whether with code, yours hands or your mind.

The thing I am trying to convey to you mr. proton, is that a good researcher should be curious, wanting to learn, ask a lot of questions, and get this question from the squares "you sure ask a lot of questions, why do you even care about machine X or Operation Y?".

Why do you want to be a researcher? the nobelprice? Are you trying to still your own curiousness? Money? Chicks? Fast cars? :cool:

i guess my main curiosity lies in cosmology, learning more about the universe and the big bang. I'm also curious about how matter behaves at the atomic level, which is why QM and particle physics also look interesting. other parts of physics are less interesting, such as mechanics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, etc

It sounds like you got a taste of what life is like for a researcher. Unfortunately the vast majority of physics work is often tedious and mundane problem solving needed to get experiments to work, or code to run. You need to seriously consider this experience in any future decisions you make.

That being said, it's fair to say that you're not necessarily going to fall in love with every project from the beginning. It's a lot like finding a mate. Some people are lucky enough to experience love at first sight. More often though, two people start out as friends or even strangers who are simply curious about each other and the relationship grows from there.

the project definitely got more enjoyable as I progressed, as I enjoyed it the most my last week here. but i don't think i love it to the extent that i want to be a research experimental physicist, at least

Something else to keep in mind is that experimental physicists design experiments; grad students run them. At an REU you get a taste for what it's like to work in an experimental group (i.e., be a lab monkey) but not really a taste of what it's like to lead an experimental group.

1. What qualities or skills are needed to be successful in a research career?

Some important qualities and skills for a successful research career include curiosity, critical thinking, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, communication skills, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively.

2. What are the potential benefits and challenges of pursuing a research career?

The potential benefits of a research career include the opportunity to make significant contributions to your field, the ability to constantly learn and grow, and the potential for job stability and higher salaries. Some challenges may include the competitive nature of the field, the need for continuous funding, and the potential for long hours and high levels of stress.

3. How can I determine if a research career is a good fit for me?

It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and values when deciding if a research career is the right path for you. You can also gain experience through internships or volunteer work to see if you enjoy the research process and environment.

4. What are the different types of research careers available?

There are various types of research careers available in fields such as academia, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. Some common roles include research scientists, professors, data analysts, and research coordinators.

5. How can I prepare for a career in research?

To prepare for a research career, it is important to obtain a strong foundation in a relevant field of study, such as biology, chemistry, or psychology. You can also gain research experience through internships, volunteer work, or participating in research projects as a student. Additionally, developing strong writing and communication skills, networking with professionals in your field, and staying up-to-date on current research can also be helpful.