Solving a 2nd Degree Equation: 2y^3 + (6x^2)y - 12x^2 + 6y = 1

In summary, the given problem involves finding the derivative of the equation 2y^3 +(6x^2)y-12x^2+6y=1 and using this to find the equation of each horizontal tangent line and the coordinates of a point where the line through the origin with slope -1 is tangent to the curve. The solution involves solving for dy/dx and setting it equal to 4x-2xy/x^2+y^2+1. The equation of the tangent line is y=2 and the coordinates of the tangent point are (-1/2, 1/2). However, the equation for the tangent line may not be accurate as the original cubic equation does not have any real roots.
Rock32

Homework Statement

Given 2y^3 +(6x^2)y-12x^2+6y = 1

A. Show that dy/dx = 4x -2xy/x^2 + y^2 + 1
B. Write an equation of each horizontal tangent line to the curve
C. The line through the origin with slope -1 is tangent to the curve at point P. Find the x-y coordinates of point P.

The Attempt at a Solution

A. 6y^2(dy/dx) + 12xy + 6x^2(dy/dx) - 24x + 6(dy/dx) = 0

6y^2(dy/dx) + 6x^2(dy/dx) + 6(dy/dx) = 24x - 12xy

(dy/dx) (6y^2 + 6x^2 +6 ) = 24x - 12xy

(dy/dx) = 24x - 12xy/ (6y^2 + 6x^2 +6 )

(dy/dx) = 4x - 2xy/ x^2 + y^2 + 1 <--- (factoring out a 6)

B. 4x - 2xy = 0

2x( 2 - y )= 0

x=0 , y=2

This part confuses me a bit. Plugging x=0 back in the original equation gives me a nonsensical answer ( 28=1) and plugging y=2 in the original nets me a cubic equation.
Is y=2 the equation for the tangent or what?

C. 4x -2xy/x^2 + y^2 + 1 = -1

4x -2xy = -x^2 - y^2 - 1

Since the line goes through the origin with slope of -1, y= -x

4x - 2x(-x) = -x^2 - (-x)^2 -1

Rearranging gives 4x^2 + 4x +1 = 0 , Factoring that gives x= -1/2

And again, since y= -x, then the coords are (-1/2, 1/2)

**I may be doing this totally wrong. I haven't been in a calculus class for 2 years and I'm trying to brush up on it a bit.**

Sorry for any confusion on my format. This is my first time posting here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Part A looks good. Isn't implicit differentiation fun!?

For Part B, you are solving for y, in terms of x (if necessary). Since the lines are horzontal, the solution is just y = 2.

Part C looks good also.

I can't see anything wrong with what you done so far. For B) since y=2 gives you an equation with no roots, the x=0 is the only possibility, Which tells you the tangent point is (0,A) where A is the root of 2y^3+6y-1=0. The equation of the tangent is y=A. But the cubic doesn't factor or anything nice. About all you could do is solve it numerically or use the dreaded 'cubic equation'.

edziura said:
Part A looks good. Isn't implicit differentiation fun!?

For Part B, you are solving for y, in terms of x (if necessary). Since the lines are horzontal, the solution is just y = 2.

Part C looks good also.

That would be right, except the poster got the two conditions backwards, y=2 doesn't give you any solutions to the original equation. And the x=0 case gives you the funny cubic. The person who composed the problem may not have thought that part through correctly.

Bah, you're right. I guess I just mixed those 2 up when I was writing up the question.

Thanks for all your input everyone!

1. What is a 2nd degree equation?

A 2nd degree equation, also known as a quadratic equation, is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a 2nd degree equation because the highest power of the variable is 2.

2. How do you solve a 2nd degree equation?

To solve a 2nd degree equation, you can use the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. First, determine the values of a, b, and c in the equation. Then, plug those values into the formula to find the solutions for x. There may be two solutions, one solution, or no solutions depending on the values of a, b, and c.

3. What is the degree of the equation 2y^3 + (6x^2)y - 12x^2 + 6y = 1?

The degree of an equation is the highest power of the variable. In this case, the highest power of the variable y is 3, making it a 3rd degree equation.

4. Can a 2nd degree equation have more than one variable?

Yes, a 2nd degree equation can have more than one variable. In this equation, there are two variables, x and y, and both are raised to the 2nd power. This type of equation is known as a bivariate quadratic equation.

5. How do you graph a 2nd degree equation?

To graph a 2nd degree equation, you can plot points on a coordinate plane and connect them to create a parabola. The equation y = ax^2 + bx + c represents a parabola, where a determines the direction and shape of the parabola, b determines the position of the parabola on the x-axis, and c determines the height of the parabola on the y-axis.