Reverse of optical isomerism in a reaction

In summary, the optical isomerism is reversed because the Br- will go and the OH- will just attach to the electron deficient carbon. This happens because the R1, R2 and R3 have to move to make place for the OH- to attach, and when Br- leaves, they have new place where they can move.
Kushal

Homework Statement

when chiral 2-bromobutane reacts with aqueous hydroxide ions, the optical activity of the product is reversed. Suggest why the optical isomerism is reversed.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea... but i don't know if the fact that the hydroxide ion will attack the electron deficient carbon (from C - Br) away from the Br atom to avoid repulsion may lead to the answer...

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Try to imagine how the reaction proceeds. Molecule model may come handy.

ermmm well i tried to imagine but i still can't see how a dextro or leavo enantiomer could become the opposite?!

because the Br- will go and the OH- will just attach to the electron deficient carbon.

does that have something to do with the SN2 mechanism?

Kushal said:
does that have something to do with the SN2 mechanism?

Yes.

i had a look at the mechanism but i can't find how there could be a reversal in chirality. a hint would be well appreciated.

thnks

You start with R1, R2, R3 and Br. You end with R1, R2, R3 and OH. During reaction R1, R2 and R3 are first "made flat" (when there exist intermediate, 5 substituded carbon) and then they are "switched" to the other side, as if they were reflected in the mirror.

so you mean that when the carbanion forms a trigonal bipyramidal structure, the R1, R2 and R3 lie on one plane with the Br and OH perpendicular to that plane.

but how does the switching occur?! does it occur after the Br- leaves?

thnks

I remember an old textbook (Ingold) likened it to an umbrella inverting. Imagine a 3-ribbed umbrella - not a perfect analogy but may help visualise. :smile:

Kushal said:
so you mean that when the carbanion forms a trigonal bipyramidal structure, the R1, R2 and R3 lie on one plane with the Br and OH perpendicular to that plane.

That's how it looks. Not sure if its OK to call it carbanion, I am called Mr.pH, not Mr.Organic :wink:

but how does the switching occur?! does it occur after the Br- leaves?

For the OH- to attach to carbon, R1, R2 and R3 must move to make place, then when Br- leaves, they have new place where they can move - at this moment they have to change symmetry. They behave like a hat turned inside out.

epenguin said:
I remember an old textbook (Ingold) likened it to an umbrella inverting. Imagine a 3-ribbed umbrella - not a perfect analogy but may help visualise. :smile:

Pretty good example :smile: Somehow I missed the moment you posted the answer.

niice analogies lol... thank you borek and epenguin...

i can get the picture now:)

What is the reverse of optical isomerism in a reaction?

The reverse of optical isomerism in a reaction refers to the process of converting one enantiomer (optical isomer) into its mirror image counterpart. This conversion can occur through a chemical reaction or physical manipulation.

Why is the reverse of optical isomerism important in chemistry?

The reverse of optical isomerism is important in chemistry because it can affect the properties and behavior of a compound. Enantiomers can have different biological activities, reactivity, and physical properties, so understanding and controlling the reverse of optical isomerism is crucial for many applications in drug development, food chemistry, and material science.

What factors influence the reverse of optical isomerism in a reaction?

The reverse of optical isomerism in a reaction can be influenced by several factors, including the reactants and their stereochemistry, the reaction conditions (temperature, solvent, catalysts), and the presence of chiral auxiliary molecules.

How can the reverse of optical isomerism be controlled in a reaction?

The reverse of optical isomerism can be controlled by carefully selecting the reaction conditions and reactants. For example, using a chiral catalyst or reagent can favor the formation of a specific enantiomer. Additionally, controlling the temperature, solvent, and concentration of reactants can also impact the reverse of optical isomerism in a reaction.

What are some applications of controlling the reverse of optical isomerism?

The ability to control the reverse of optical isomerism has many practical applications. It can be used to synthesize specific enantiomers for drug development, create new materials with desired properties, and produce pure enantiomers for use in analytical techniques. Additionally, understanding and controlling the reverse of optical isomerism is important in fields such as food chemistry, where the taste and aroma of a compound can vary based on its enantiomer.