Newton's Method (INTERSECTION POINTS)

With x= 1.5, for example, f(x)= tan(1.5)- 5(1.5)= -4.0133 while f'(x)= sec^2(1.5)- 5= 7.3194. I get x_1= 1.54709.In summary, to find the x-coordinate of the first point in the region where y = tan(x) intersects y = 5x, we can use Newton's method with a starting point of 1.5. This leads to an x-coordinate of approximately 1.54709, accurate to 6 significant figures.
Jharr94

Homework Statement

Find the x-coordinate of the first point in the region where intersects . Give your answer to 6 significant figures.

Homework Equations

x_1=x_0- (f(x)/f'(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated the two equations and got:
0=tanx-5x

I also looked at the graph and got that the intersection point is around 1.5

I used Newton's method but the only thing I keep getting is 0, can anyone help me to find the OTHER intersection point?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that since you know the point of intersection is around 1.5, that is the value you are using as your guess x_0 in Newton's method?If so, you will have to show me your work for me to be able to see where you are going wrong.

First, x= 0 is obviously a solution of tan(x)= 5x. Using a starting point close enough to a positive solution should work.

1. What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method is an iterative numerical algorithm used to find the roots or intersection points of a given function. It is based on the idea of using the tangent line to approximate the root and successively refining the approximation until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

2. How does Newton's Method work?

The method starts with an initial guess for the root, and then uses the function's derivative to find the tangent line at that point. The root is then estimated as the x-intercept of the tangent line. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is reached.

3. What are the advantages of using Newton's Method?

One advantage is that it typically converges to the root quickly, often within a few iterations. It also works well for finding complex roots and can be easily extended to multiple dimensions. Additionally, it is a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of functions.

4. What are the limitations of Newton's Method?

One limitation is that it requires knowing the function's derivative, which may not always be available or easy to compute. It also relies heavily on the initial guess for the root, so if the guess is far from the actual root, the method may fail to converge. Furthermore, it may encounter issues with division by zero or undefined values.

5. How is Newton's Method used in real-world applications?

Newton's Method has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is commonly used to solve optimization problems, find the roots of equations, and perform numerical integrations. It is also used in computer graphics and machine learning for tasks such as image processing and curve fitting.