Proving AunionB=AunionC, B=C Theorem

• Thread starter kathrynag
  • Start date
In summary: Homework Statement I need to decide whether the theorem is correct and decide where the proof fails.AunionB=AunionC, B=CHomework EquationsThe Attempt at a SolutionWe will prove by contradiction. Suppose that A\cupB and A\cupC are not equal. That's NOT the way proof by contradiction works! To prove "if X then Y" by contradiction, you assume Y is not true. Here your theorem is "if A\cup B= A\cup C then B= C. Proof by contradiction would start "suppose B is not equal to C".Then there is some object x that is in one and not the other. We proceed by looking
kathrynag

Homework Statement

I need to decide whether the theorem is correct and decide where the proof fails.
AunionB=AunionC, B=C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We will prove by contradiction. Suppose that A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and A[tex]\cup[/tex]C are not equal. Then there is some object x that is in one and not the other. We proceed by looking at 2 cases:
First look at the case where x[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and x[tex]\notin[/tex]A[tex]\cup[/tex]C. Then x[tex]\notin[/tex]A. So x[tex]\in[/tex]B. Also x[tex]\notin[/tex]C. Therefore x is in B and not in C, which contradicts the condition B=C.

I thought the theorme was correct, but I can't find where the proof goes wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:

Homework Statement

I need to decide whether the theorem is correct and decide where the proof fails.
AunionB=AunionC, B=C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We will prove by contradiction. Suppose that A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and A[tex]\cup[/tex]C are not equal.
That's NOT the way proof by contradiction works! To prove "if X then Y" by contradiction, you assume Y is not true. Here your theorem is "if [tex]A\cup B= A\cup C[/tex] then B= C. Proof by contradiction would start "suppose B is not equal to C".

Then there is some object x that is in one and not the other. We proceed by looking at 2 cases:
First look at the case where x[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\cup[/tex]B and x[tex]\notin[/tex]A[tex]\cup[/tex]C. Then x[tex]\notin[/tex]A. So x[tex]\in[/tex]B. Also x[tex]\notin[/tex]C. Therefore x is in B and not in C, which contradicts the condition B=C.

I thought the theorme was correct, but I can't find where the proof goes wrong.

HallsofIvy said:
That's NOT the way proof by contradiction works! To prove "if X then Y" by contradiction, you assume Y is not true. Here your theorem is "if [tex]A\cup B= A\cup C[/tex] then B= C. Proof by contradiction would start "suppose B is not equal to C".

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

I think it's not true. You take A={1,2,3}. B={1,0}, C={2,0}. Then B not = C but A union B= A union C

1. What is the "Proving AunionB=AunionC, B=C Theorem"?

The "Proving AunionB=AunionC, B=C Theorem" is a mathematical theorem that states that if two sets, A and B, are equal to the same set, C, then A union B is also equal to C.

2. How is this theorem proven?

This theorem can be proven using mathematical logic and set theory principles, such as the transitive property and the definition of set equality.

3. Why is this theorem important?

This theorem is important because it allows us to simplify and prove more complex set equations by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can you provide an example of how this theorem is used?

Sure, let's say we have three sets: A = {1, 2, 3}, B = {2, 3, 4}, and C = {1, 2, 3, 4}. Using the "Proving AunionB=AunionC, B=C Theorem", we can show that A union B is equal to C by showing that B is also equal to C, since A union B is equal to B. This can be written as A union B = (2, 3, 4) = C.

5. What other theorems or principles are related to this theorem?

Some related theorems and principles include the commutative property of union, the associative property of union, and the distributive property of union over intersection.