Solving this equation radioactive decay equation

In summary, the initial and current specific activity values are not the same, so the equation has to be set up differently to solve for "t". The initial and current specific activities are based on [delta 14 C] values, so the equation has to be set up to solve for "t" in "delta 14 C" notation. The ages calculated were for waters in the North Atlantic, North Pacific, and South Pacific. The average replacement time for the entire ocean is ~500-1000 years, so the ages calculated for the North Pacific and South Pacific were in context of the average replacement time.
cgarr017
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. this may not be calculus but i would appreciate any help solving this equation
radioactive decay equation is N=N0e^-(0.693t/T(1/2))
N is the current specific activity value, N0 is the initial specific activity, t is the time or age of the element(Carbon in this case), and T(1/2) is the half-life value of the element. in this case the half life of carbon is 5,730 years.
I'm supposed to calculate "t" or age of the waters in the North Atlantic, North Pacific, and South Pacific.
it appears that the initial and current specific activity values are the same. Specific activity for North Atlantic is 0.93, North Pacific is 0.83 and South Pacific is 0.77.
So, starting off with the age of the North Atlantic i have the equation set up as 0.93=0.93e^-(0.693t/5730). Now my first thought is to take the natural log of both sides to get rid of the e, but the 0.93 coefficient is throwing me off. would that give you ln0.93=ln0.93+lne^-(0.693t/5730)?

Physics news on Phys.org
cgarr017 said:
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. this may not be calculus but i would appreciate any help solving this equation
radioactive decay equation is N=N0e^-(0.693t/T(1/2))
N is the current specific activity value, N0 is the initial specific activity, t is the time or age of the element(Carbon in this case), and T(1/2) is the half-life value of the element. in this case the half life of carbon is 5,730 years.
I'm supposed to calculate "t" or age of the waters in the North Atlantic, North Pacific, and South Pacific.
it appears that the initial and current specific activity values are the same. Specific activity for North Atlantic is 0.93, North Pacific is 0.83 and South Pacific is 0.77.
So, starting off with the age of the North Atlantic i have the equation set up as 0.93=0.93e^-(0.693t/5730). Now my first thought is to take the natural log of both sides to get rid of the e, but the 0.93 coefficient is throwing me off. would that give you ln0.93=ln0.93+lne^-(0.693t/5730)?
That "it appears that the initial and current specific activity values are the same" can't be right. If it were true, for example, that 0.93=0.93e^-(0.693t/5730), then the first thing you would do is divide both sides by 0.93 to get e^(0.693t/5730)= 1 and then t= 0.

That's because that formula: N= N0e^(-0.693t/5730) tells you that N is steadily decreasing from N0. The only time N= N0 is when t= 0. The initial and current specific activities CAN'T be the same.

OK, so here's the problem. tell me what you think N and N0 should be.
The youngest bottom waters in the North Atlantic had a [delta 14 C] value of approx -70o/oo (o/oo being parts per thousand). Bottom waters in the South Pacific have a [delta 14 C] value of -170o/oo, while bottom waters in the North Pacific had a [delta 14 C] value of -230o/oo.
a)In the [delta 14 C] notation, the specific sample activity is approximately given by 1+([delta 14 C]/1000). Using this fromula, convert these [delta 14 C] values to specific carbon 14 activities. For this i got north atlantic-> 1+ (-70/1000)=0.93, south pacific->0.83, north pacific->0.77.
b)Now, assume that a water mass sinks out of the north atlantic at t=0 with the specific activity based on a [delta 14 C] value of -70o/oo. Using the radioactive decay equation N=N0e^-(0.693t/(T1/2)), calculate the "age" of the waters in the south pacific and north pacific. recall that T1/2 is half-life and the half-life of carbon is 5,730 years.
c)The average replacement or residence time for the entire ocean is ~500-1000 years. Please discuss the ages you calculated for north pacific and south pacific waters in the context of this average replacement time.

What is the radioactive decay equation?

The radioactive decay equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the rate at which a radioactive substance decays over time. It is expressed as: N = N0e-λt, where N is the remaining amount of substance at time t, N0 is the initial amount of substance, and λ is the decay constant.

How do you solve a radioactive decay equation?

To solve a radioactive decay equation, you need to know the initial amount of substance, the remaining amount of substance, and the decay constant. Then, plug these values into the equation N = N0e-λt and solve for t. This will give you the time it takes for the substance to decay to the given amount.

What is the decay constant?

The decay constant, denoted by λ, is a measure of how quickly a substance decays. It is unique to each radioactive substance and is determined by its half-life, which is the time it takes for half of the initial amount of substance to decay.

What is the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the time it takes for half of the initial amount of substance to decay. It is a constant value and is unique to each radioactive substance. It is used to determine the decay constant and can also be used to calculate the remaining amount of substance at any given time.

How is the radioactive decay equation used in science and medicine?

The radioactive decay equation is used in various fields of science, including nuclear physics, environmental science, and geology, to study the behavior of radioactive substances. In medicine, it is used in diagnostic imaging techniques, such as PET scans, and in radiation therapy to treat cancer. It is also used in radiocarbon dating to determine the age of archaeological artifacts and geological samples.