Help setting up triple integral

In summary, the surface 4x+2y+3z=16 is a plane that divides the solid W into three parts along the x, y, and z axes. To calculate Mxz, the integral is set up as \int\int\int y dzdxdy, with the boundaries 0≤z≤16−4x−2y, 0≤x≤1/2(y−8), and 0≤y≤8. However, the crossing points at (4,0,0), (0,8,0), and (0,0,16/3) are not relevant in this calculation.
hils0005

Homework Statement

W is the solid bounded by the three coordinate planes and the surface 4x+2y+3z=16, Calculate Mxz=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] y dV

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the surface 4x +2y +3z=16 is a plane that crosses boundries at (4,0,0), (0,8,0) and (0,0,16/3)

This is how I set up my integral but I am getting an incorrect answer...
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] y dzdxdy
0[tex]\leq[/tex]z[tex]\leq[/tex]16-4x-2y
0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1/2(y-8)
0[tex]\leq[/tex]y[tex]\leq[/tex]8

can anyone tell what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
your boundary.
4x+2y+3z=16
To get the y-range, set x=0, z=0, so y is between 0 and 8
for x-range, set z=0. then x is between 0 and (16-2y)/4
z goes between 0 and (16-4x-2y)/3
the crossing points are irrelavant.
try and see what u get.

1. What is a triple integral and how is it used in scientific research?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a 3-dimensional region. It is often used in scientific research to determine the mass, density, and other physical properties of complex shapes and objects.

2. How do I set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you need to define the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) and determine the function to be integrated. This can be done by visualizing the 3-dimensional region and breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes.

3. What are some common applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate the volume and mass of objects, as well as to solve problems involving 3-dimensional shapes and systems.

4. Can I use software or calculators to help me set up a triple integral?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators available that can assist with setting up and solving triple integrals. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concept and its applications in order to use these tools effectively.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the process of setting up a triple integral?

One tip is to break down the 3-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes that can be integrated separately. It is also helpful to understand the symmetry and properties of the region to determine the appropriate limits of integration.