Billiard ball rolls with slipping to without slipping.

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a billiard ball with mass M, radius R, and moment of inertia (2/5)MR^2 about its center of mass. The ball is initially struck with a cue stick and its motion gradually changes from pure translation to rolling with slipping, and eventually to rolling without slipping. The conversation includes questions on writing expressions for the linear and angular velocities of the ball, determining the time when it begins to roll without slipping, and explaining why the angular momentum about a fixed point remains constant despite frictional force. The solution involves considering the physical aspects of the problem and using equations such as vf=vi+at, torque=I*alpha, and omega=v/r
alphaJA

Homework Statement

A billiard ball has mass M, radius R, and moment of inertia about the center of mass(sphere...so (2/5)MR^2).

The ball is sturck by a cue stick along a horizonal line through the ball's center of mass so that the ball initially slides with velocity vi. As the ball moves across the billiard table (coef of fric. mu_k), its motion gradually changes from pure translation through rolling with slipping to rolling without slipping.

a) Write an expression for linear velocity(v) of the center of the ball as a function of time while it is rolling with slipping.

b) Write an expression for the angular veolicty(omega) of the ball as a function of time while it is rolling with slipping.

c) Determine the time at which the ball begins to roll without slipping

d) When the ball is struck it acquires an angular momentum about the fixed point P on the surface of the table. During th esubsequent motion the angular momentum about point P remains constant despite the frictional force. Explain why this is so.

Homework Equations

vf=vi+at
Net torque= I*alpha
torque=F cross R
Net F=Ma
Ff= mu_k*NormalForce
when not slipping omega= v/r ; alpha = a/r

The Attempt at a Solution

here's my attempt...
a)
F= Ma
F in this case is the force of friction
so Ff=Ma; Ff is mu_k(Mg)
so a = mu_k(g)
Vf=Vi+at
So I said answer is vi+mu_k(g)t

b)
torque= I*alpha ;torque=F cross R
F is Ff which is mu_k(Mg), R is just R; so torque= mu_k(Mg)R
I divided the torque by moment of inertia(2/5)MR^2 to get the anuglar acceleration.
so alpha= (mu_k*g)/(0.4R)
omega_f=omega_i + alpha(t)
so my answer was (mu_k*g*t)/(0.4R)

c)
its not slipping so alpha=a/R;
a/R = (mu_k*g)/R
alpha = (mu_k*g)/(0.4R)
I'm stuck here...don't know what to do...do I look for the time when alpha equals a/R?

d)I just said there are no external forces, and when no external forces are applied, momentums are always conseved.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) you can't really use Newton's 2nd law, since a object would roll forever if there's only friction and no air resistance (or anything else).

Ex: If you have a basketball and you roll it with friction and there's no air resistance then it won't stop. Try it...

This is a paradox, or the model would be wrong(as in not exact)... (learn it this weekend). The model is based on the fact that there's bumps on the surface.

So for a) I got Ff*R=torque=I*alpha
mu*mg*R=I*(a/R)
==> a=(mu*mg*R^2)/I
Vf=Vi+a*t ;
therefore Vf=Vi+[(mu*mg*R^2)/I]*t

that's what I think, might be right, don't know...

1. Part (a): Your answer describes a velocity that increases with time (as does BrightWang's above). This is obviously incorrect :smile: (The original solution is almost correct if not for this inconsistency)

2. Think about the problem physically (as described in the statement). At first, there is pure translation (v = vi, omega = 0). Then v reduces, omega increases. What does rolling without slipping mean?

naresh said:
1. Part (a): Your answer describes a velocity that increases with time (as does BrightWang's above). This is obviously incorrect :smile: (The original solution is almost correct if not for this inconsistency)
QUOTE]

hmmm acceleration is of course negative... that's that's part of a

I thought that alpha= a/r does not work when it is slipping...
if its slipping, then it might be spinning like crazy, but still not be accellerating much horizontally.

alphaJA said:
I thought that alpha= a/r does not work when it is slipping...
if its slipping, then it might be spinning like crazy, but still not be accellerating much horizontally.

Yes, this is correct.

BTW, I think your problem should say rolling with sliding, not rolling with slipping. I don't think there is enough angular velocity to slip at any point.

hmmmm
it says slipping on the paper...

anyway...I'm still stuck on this problem..

naresh said:
2. Think about the problem physically (as described in the statement). At first, there is pure translation (v = vi, omega = 0). Then v reduces, omega increases.

Till what time does this happen? What values do v and omega eventually take?

eventually omega=v/R...(am I missing the point?Im not sure) when it is not slipping...

well for a) it only need the function when it is rolling with slipping..
if omega=0, and is slipping, does it mean it is sliding?
Is it at a certain distinct point that it will start not slipping, or is it gradual?

alphaJA said:
eventually omega=v/R...(am I missing the point?Im not sure) when it is not slipping...

Yes. What time is it when this happens? You have equations describing the velocities...

well for a) it only need the function when it is rolling with slipping..
if omega=0, and is slipping, does it mean it is sliding?
Is it at a certain distinct point that it will start not slipping, or is it gradual?

It is sliding (slipping is incorrect) until a certain distinct point. At this point, it starts rolling without slipping, and your equations of motion are not valid any more.

equations describing the velocities...
do you mean things like Vf=Vi+at, omega_f= alpha*t?
alpha = (mu*g)/(0.4R) using torque...
and omega_f = Vf/R because it is not slpping at the point...
so omega_f/alpha= time?

if that's right..
i got time = (0.4V_f)/(mu_k*g)...
I still need to know how to express V when it is sliding...

alphaJA said:
I still need to know how to express V when it is sliding...

What you had in your first post was (almost) correct, as I said! Except that you had increasing velocity with time...

isnt g=-9.8m/s^2?
so doesn't the velocity decrease with time?
or is that not true with the equation vf= vi + mu_k*g*t..?

Thanks a lot for assisting me, by the way.

alphaJA said:
isnt g=-9.8m/s^2?
so doesn't the velocity decrease with time?
or is that not true with the equation vf= vi + mu_k*g*t..?

Thanks a lot for assisting me, by the way.

Ok, if g is negative, the equation for v is correct. However, your omega grows more and more negative with time. Is that also what you intended? If so, how will omega_f ever be equal to Vf/r?

ohh I see.

then do I have to make it vf=vi- mu_k*g*t??
If so, how can I make it just negative?
or is there something else that I'm still missing.

No no.. if g is negative, your original equation is correct (sorry if this confused you, choosing g to be a negative number was not at all obvious to me). The linear velocity of the center of mass has to decrease with time, and your equation should reflect that.

Now, we get to v = R*omega. For this condition to hold, omega should be positive. So if g is negative, your torque equation is incorrect.

You should avoid all this confusion by choosing g to be a positive number. Then draw a free body diagram of the rolling ball. Draw the directions of v and omega as well on this diagram. It will clarify matters immensely. If you are still stuck, maybe you can post your diagram and I can try and help. It is always easier to think in diagrams rather than equations.

What is the difference between slipping and without slipping in a billiard ball roll?

Slipping in a billiard ball roll refers to the situation where the ball is moving and rotating at the same time, causing the ball to slide on the surface. Without slipping, on the other hand, means that the ball is only moving without any rotational movement.

What causes a billiard ball to slip?

A billiard ball can slip due to various factors, such as an uneven or slippery surface, a lack of friction between the ball and the surface, or an external force acting on the ball.

How does slipping affect the motion of a billiard ball?

Slipping can significantly affect the motion of a billiard ball. It can cause the ball to deviate from its intended path, decrease its speed, and affect the accuracy of its movements.

How can slipping be prevented in a billiard ball roll?

To prevent slipping, it is essential to have a smooth and level playing surface with enough friction to grip the ball. Additionally, using proper technique and controlling the force and direction of the cue stick can also help prevent slipping.

What are some examples of real-life applications of studying billiard ball rolls with and without slipping?

The study of billiard ball rolls with and without slipping has various real-life applications, such as in sports like pool or billiards, where players need to understand and control the motion of the ball. It is also relevant in engineering and physics, where the principles of motion and friction are applied in designing and analyzing moving objects and surfaces.