Can Antimatter Collision Create a Black Hole?

In summary, the possibility of creating a black hole by colliding antimatter with antimatter is the same as colliding matter with matter. However, the energy released in such collisions is usually emitted at the speed of light, making it less likely to create a black hole. In order to create a black hole, a massive amount of energy would be needed, which is currently beyond our technological capabilities. Attempts have been made to create artificial black holes using optical fibers and rubber sheets, but these are not real black holes and pose no danger. The concept of creating a black hole remains a topic of interest and research for physicists.
Ebonscaith
I am not very versed in physics but if it was possible to collide antimatter with antimatter would that create a black hole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ebonscaith said:
I am not very versed in physics but if it was possible to collide antimatter with antimatter would that create a black hole?

In standard theory, black holes arise where a large amount of mass or energy is compressed into a small enough volume. It doesn't make any difference whether the mass is made of matter or antimatter, but as matter seems to be more plentiful, it's easier to do it with matter.

Jonathan Scott said:
matter seems to be more plentiful, it's easier to do it with matter.

hmmmmm its a bit closed minded answer... a part of its at least :)

matter is more plentiful according to our existence , with the proper work every aspect of matter is equally capable of existence , or better say is equally capable of usage

i just hope that some areas of physics to have new adds to the near feuture :)

as for the initial question... a black hole can't simply be created in an experiment like this happenig in CERN if this is what troubles you

I don't have any worries about black holes being created. To be more precise on my question I was talking more towards nuclear fission (i think) in that process the collision of the atoms which are matter creates an explosion. So if antimatter has atoms and they were to collide would that make a massive implosion hence a black hole?

Ebonscaith said:
I don't have any worries about black holes being created. To be more precise on my question I was talking more towards nuclear fission (i think) in that process the collision of the atoms which are matter creates an explosion. So if antimatter has atoms and they were to collide would that make a massive implosion hence a black hole?

Antimatter colliding with antimatter is no different from matter colliding with matter.

When matter meets matching antimatter, the usual result is that the rest mass of the particles is converted to pure energy. This doesn't change the total energy, so although the result may give off a lot of energy, the combination is no closer to creating a black hole than the original material, and since the energy is usually emitted at the speed of light, this actually decreases the overall gravitational effect very rapidly.

If you give some matter lots of extra kinetic energy by making it move very fast, then collide it head-on with other matter or antimatter, then at the point of collision there is a lot of energy present in a very small volume as seen in the centre-of-mass frame, and if taken to extreme limits that could in theory produce a microscopic black hole, but that would require many orders of magnitude more energy than could be produced in a collider at present.

hellv1l said:
...a black hole can't simply be created in an experiment like this happenig in CERN...
Sure it could. Not likely, but not impossible. Of course, such a micro black hole would not accrete and would evaporate quickly. In fact, I read somewhere that we might not even know for sure if a micro black hole had formed during a particle collision, because such an event is nearly indistinguishable from a particle collision that does not result in the formation of a black hole. I must have read this in "The Black Hole Wars" by Leonard Susskind.

How to make a Black Hole:

http://startswithabang.com/?p=42

Physicists Make Artificial Black Hole Using Optical Fiber
By Saswato R. Das
First Published March 2008

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/mar08/6051

Scientists Make Fake Black Hole in a Phone Line

"We actually made pairs of black-hole white-hole horizons (80 million per second). They exist only as long as our light pulses propagate through the fibre (about 10 nanoseconds) and they act only on light. In other words, they are completely harmless."

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/03/scientists-make.html [Broken]

If you want to make a real black hole then you need to take some mass M and squeeze it inside it's Schwartzschild radius rs where
rs = (2GM)/c2

G = universal constant of gravitation, approx 6.6x10-11m3kg -1s-2
c = speed of light, approx= 3x108ms-1

Or else you could do as I did yesterday and buy a very large rubber sheet. If you are in New York there is a rubber shop on Canal Street and they sell sheets of rubber by the yard !(which is a short meter). Punch a small hole in the rubber sheet, get a plastic disk, punch a hole through the disk and thread a string around the disk and through the hole of the sheet. Have about eight children holding the sheet taught and another child under the sheet pulling down on the string attached to the disk. This forms a very steep depression in the sheet with vertical sides, like the potential of a black hole in space time.

Don't fall in !

http://everything2.com/?node_id=813483

Physicists Strive to Build A Black Hole

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E2DF1438F932A2575AC0A9679C8B63

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can antimatter collision create a black hole?

Yes, it is theoretically possible for an antimatter collision to create a black hole. When matter and antimatter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy. If this energy is concentrated enough, it could create a black hole.

2. How likely is it that an antimatter collision will create a black hole?

The likelihood of an antimatter collision creating a black hole depends on several factors, including the amount of antimatter involved and the energy released during the collision. In most cases, the amount of energy released is not enough to create a black hole, but in certain extreme scenarios, it is possible.

3. What would happen if an antimatter collision did create a black hole?

If an antimatter collision did create a black hole, the black hole would continue to grow as it absorbed more matter and energy. The black hole would also release a large amount of radiation, making it detectable by telescopes and other instruments.

4. Is there any evidence of black holes being created by antimatter collisions?

Currently, there is no direct evidence of black holes being created by antimatter collisions. However, there are some observations of gamma ray bursts that could potentially be explained by black holes created from antimatter collisions.

5. Could an antimatter collision with Earth create a black hole that destroys the planet?

No, it is highly unlikely that an antimatter collision with Earth would create a black hole that would destroy the planet. Even if a black hole was created, it would be too small to have any significant effect on Earth's orbit or structure.