Are Generalized Coordinates Necessary for Simplifying Complex Systems?

In summary, generalized coordinates in Lagrangian mechanics are equivalent to coordinates on a chart in a manifold, and are an implicit way of working with manifolds. In Hamiltonian mechanics, there are not just N coordinates but also N momenta, and the system can be described in phase space. Poisson brackets and symplectic manifolds play an important role in describing the evolution of a system in phase space, and the Hamiltonian is the generator of a one-parameter family of symplectomorphisms. In some cases, the knowledge of a system's invariants can help reduce the number of coordinates needed to describe the system.
Tac-Tics
Are generalized coordinates, as used in Legrangian mechanics, just a different name for coordinates on a chart in a manifold? The idea of generalized coordinates never quite "clicked" with me, but after reading a paper today, it seems that they are just an implicit way of working with manifolds.

So, say you're working with a double-pendulumn system. You have two objects (the ends of the pendulumns) in 3D space, for a total of 6 degrees of freedom, so the entire system can be modeled in R^6. But, to simplify the math, we can use our knowledge of the system's invariants to reduce this down to a 2D submanifold, parametrized by the angle of each pendulumn as each swings in a plane.

Am I correct in coming to this conclusion?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, the coordinates are on a manifold referred to as "configuration space". The system trajectory is a curve in configuration space parametrized by the variable 't' (time).

In Hamiltonian mechanics, you have not just N coordinates, but also N momenta. These 2N components label points in "phase space". Phase space has some nice properties that come about due to the invariance of Poisson brackets with respect to different canonical sets of variables. A canonical transformation is a particular kind of coordinate transformation on phase space, called a "symplectomorphism". The Hamiltonian itself can be considered the generator (via Poisson brackets) of a one-parameter continuous family of symplectomorphisms (where the parameter is again time) that describes the system evolution. Also some other neat things come about, like Liouville's theorem, which is important for statistical mechanics.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see I'm on track with my intuition.

You used a lot of big words I don't know there. What is a Poisson bracket? Wikipedia goes on to talk about symplectic manifolds, which I am also unfamiliar with. (Wikipedia is a big believer in defining big words in terms of even bigger words in math and physics articles).

If the coordinates are [itex]q_i[/itex] and their corresponding canonical momenta are [itex]p_i[/itex], then the Poisson bracket of two functions f(q,p), g(q,p) is given by

[tex]\{f, g\}_{PB} = \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial q_i} \frac{\partial g}{\partial p_i} - \sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial p_i} \frac{\partial g}{\partial q_i}[/tex]

Then, the time evolution of any given function [itex]\phi(q, p, t)[/itex] is given by

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} + \{\phi, H\}_{PB}[/tex]

where H is the Hamiltonian.

It will be easiest to understand if you apply it to a simple one-dimensional system that you know already, like a harmonic oscillator or something. Just walk through the steps and see what happens.

Tac-Tics said:
So, say you're working with a double-pendulumn system. You have two objects (the ends of the pendulumns) in 3D space, for a total of 6 degrees of freedom, so the entire system can be modeled in R^6. But, to simplify the math, we can use our knowledge of the system's invariants to reduce this down to a 2D submanifold, parametrized by the angle of each pendulumn as each swings in a plane.

To be precise, we use our knowledge of the system's invariants/constraints to show that coordinates lie on a 2D manifold that can be parameterised with two independent coordinates. The 6 coordinates could also be used as generalized coordinates if the corresponding constraint terms are included in the Lagrangian.

Many systems cannot be described fully by independent coordinates, e.g. rolling sphere.

1. What are generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates are a set of independent variables used to describe the configuration of a dynamical system. They are typically chosen in such a way that they uniquely determine the position and orientation of all the components of the system.

2. Why are generalized coordinates important in physics?

Generalized coordinates allow for a more efficient and elegant way of describing the motion and dynamics of a system. They simplify complex equations and make it easier to solve problems involving multiple degrees of freedom.

3. How are generalized coordinates different from regular coordinates?

Regular coordinates, such as Cartesian coordinates, describe the position of a point in space using fixed reference frames. Generalized coordinates, on the other hand, are chosen based on the constraints and symmetries of the system, making them more flexible and versatile.

4. What types of systems can be described using generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates can be used to describe a wide range of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and chemical systems. They are particularly useful for systems with multiple degrees of freedom, such as pendulums, rigid bodies, and molecules.

5. How do you determine the number of generalized coordinates needed for a system?

The number of generalized coordinates needed for a system is equal to the number of independent degrees of freedom in the system. This can be determined by considering the number of constraints and the symmetries of the system, and using the principle of virtual work.