Doped semiconductor, donor electron radius

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a donor electron moving in a doped semiconductor and finding the radius of its circular atomic orbit in terms of the Bohr radius. The binding energy and equations for finding the radius are mentioned, and a suggestion to look up the Bohr radius is given as a solution to the problem. The conversation ends with a thank you for the helpful information.
Yroyathon
hi folks, almost done my semester of physics. this problem has my goat, can't quite figure it out. Done web searches endlessly, but most of the links are pdf articles that I can't access.

Homework Statement

A donor electron moves in doped semiconductor, for which ε/ε0 = 17.9 and m* = 0.015*m_e. Find the radius of a circular atomic orbit of such an electron in terms of the Bohr radius a_0 (Fig. 43-37). The effective nuclear charge for such a loosely bound electron is Z = 1.
ans= ____ a_0

Homework Equations

the binding energy E=(13.6eV)*(m*/m_e)*(epsilon_0/epsilon)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(the figure is unimportant: a circle with a dot in it; I didn't include it)

so I've gotten the binding energy, which is pretty small. but I'm unsure how to connect this to the Bohr equations for radius. or, I'm not even sure if that's the right approach to take.

my question is, given this new binding/ionization energy, how can you find the radius?

Tips or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

,Yroyathon

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can look up the bohr radius of an electron and proton...

[tex]a_0 = \frac{4\pi \epsilon_0 \hbar^2}{m_e e^2}[/tex]

For the exciton you get...

[tex]a_{x0} = \frac{4\pi \epsilon\hbar^2}{m_{r}^* e^2} = \frac{\epsilon}{\epsilon_0}\cdot\frac{m_e}{m_r^*}\cdot a_0[/tex]

Where [tex]1/m_r^* = 1/m_e^* + 1/m_h^*[/tex].

P.S.: You might want to check my work.

thank you. that was exactly what I needed. I'd seen something similar to this in my web searches, but with the differences in constant notation (epsilon vs. epsilon_0 vs. kappa vs, etc.) I was pretty confused as to what was in the formula.

thanks!

What is a doped semiconductor?

A doped semiconductor is a type of semiconductor material that has been intentionally altered by adding impurities (called dopants) to its structure. This process is known as doping and it is used to modify the electrical and optical properties of the semiconductor.

What is a donor electron?

A donor electron is an extra electron that has been introduced into a semiconductor material through the process of doping. Donor electrons are typically provided by elements with more valence electrons than the host material, such as phosphorus or arsenic, and they are responsible for increasing the conductivity of the semiconductor.

What is the radius of a donor electron?

The radius of a donor electron refers to the distance between the center of the electron and its outermost edge. This value can vary depending on the type of semiconductor material and the specific dopant used, but it is typically in the range of 0.1 to 0.3 nanometers.

How does the radius of a donor electron affect the properties of a doped semiconductor?

The radius of a donor electron can have a significant impact on the electrical and optical properties of a doped semiconductor. A smaller radius can lead to stronger interactions between the donor electron and the surrounding atoms, resulting in higher conductivity and faster charge carrier movement. A larger radius can result in weaker interactions and lower conductivity.

What are some real-world applications of doped semiconductors with donor electrons?

Doped semiconductors with donor electrons are widely used in various electronic devices, including transistors, diodes, and solar cells. They are also essential in the production of computer chips and other microelectronic components. Additionally, doped semiconductors are used in optoelectronics for applications such as LED lights and lasers.