Trig question (sine wave)

Good job on summarizing the conversation! In summary, the piston in a large factory engine moves up and down in a cylinder with a height, h centimeters, given by the formula h = 120sinPi(t)+200. The amplitude is 120cm and the period is 2 seconds. The maximum and minimum heights of the piston are 320cm and 80cm respectively. In 30 minutes, the piston makes 900 complete cycles.
Imperil
A piston in a large factory engine moves up and down in a cylinder. The height, h centimeters, of the piston at t seconds is given by the formula h = 120sinPi(t)+200.

a) State the amplitude and period.
b) What are the maximum and minimum heights of the piston?
c) How many complete cycles does the piston make in 30 min?

My answers:

ai) amplitude = 120cm
aii) period = 2Pi / Pi = 2

bi) minimum height = 200cm - 120cm = 80cm
bii) maximum height = 200cm + 120cm = 320cm

c) 30m = 1800s
period = 2 cycles / s
1800 x 2 = 3600

Therefore the piston makes 3600 complete cycles in 30 minutes.

I was hoping that someone could tell me if my answers are correct? I want to make sure that I understand this properly. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Part c looks wrong. The period is 2 seconds, which corresponds to half a cycle per second. You know that if it takes *longer* than one second to go through a complete cycle, then you will able to go through *fewer* than 1800 full cycles in 1800 seconds.

cepheid said:
Part c looks wrong. The period is 2 seconds, which corresponds to half a cycle per second. You know that if it takes *longer* than one second to go through a complete cycle, then you will able to go through *fewer* than 1800 full cycles in 1800 seconds.
Oops sorry about that I typed it in wrong :(

I meant the following:

c) 30m = 1800s
period = 2
1800s / 2 = 900

Therefore the piston makes 900 complete cycles in 30 minutes. Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem. Everything else looks good to me.

1. What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a mathematical curve that represents a smooth repetitive oscillation. In trigonometry, it is a function of an angle that describes the relationship between the sides of a right triangle.

2. How is a sine wave used in science?

Sine waves are used in various scientific fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics, to model and study periodic phenomena such as sound, light, and vibrations. They are also used in electronics to generate and amplify signals.

3. How do you calculate the amplitude of a sine wave?

The amplitude of a sine wave is the distance from the middle line (or the axis) to the peak of the curve. In trigonometry, the amplitude is equal to the maximum value of the sine function, which is 1. However, in real-world applications, the amplitude can vary based on the specific scenario.

4. What is the period of a sine wave?

The period of a sine wave is the length of one complete cycle of the curve, which is the distance from one peak to the next. In trigonometry, the period of a sine function is determined by the value of its argument, which is usually measured in radians.

5. How can I use sine waves to solve real-life problems?

Sine waves can be used to model and solve various real-life problems, such as calculating the height of a pendulum or predicting the movement of a simple harmonic oscillator. They are also used in signal processing to filter noise and extract useful information from data.