Cassini will enter Saturn orbit tonight

In summary, the conversation revolves around the Cassini spacecraft and its mission to study Saturn. Some people were initially concerned about the launch, but are now excited about the potential for close-up photos of Saturn's rings. Others have already seen a special on the mission and find it thrilling. There is also a suggestion to post about the mission in an astronomy forum for more discussion.
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, am thrilled that it did launch (and that there were no problems during Cassini's subsequent Earth flyby in Aug. 1999). It should provide an excellent tour of Saturn.

Hopefully we get some good close-up photos of Saturn's rings tonight.

Wow! I'm watching NASA live TV now. Some of the pics were confusing. But the rest are beautiful!

i saw a special on Cassini the other night on the Science Channel...very exciting stuff!

I thought I'd get more response among a bunch of physicists ;)

(1) try posting to the astronomy forum
(2) try posting something specific to discuss (not slamming your good topic here...many of us have known about the mission for a while, given that it was launched 7 years ago, and are excited by it)

What is Cassini and why is it entering Saturn's orbit?

Cassini is a spacecraft that was launched in 1997 by NASA and the European Space Agency. Its primary mission is to study the planet Saturn and its moons. Tonight, Cassini will enter Saturn's orbit to begin its final phase of the mission, known as the "Grand Finale". This will provide scientists with unprecedented data and images of Saturn's atmosphere and rings.

When will Cassini enter Saturn's orbit?

Cassini is scheduled to enter Saturn's orbit tonight, April 26, 2017. The exact time of entry is dependent on the spacecraft's trajectory and speed, but it is estimated to occur around 11:30 p.m. EDT.

What will happen to Cassini during the entry into Saturn's orbit?

Cassini will perform a maneuver called the "Orbit Insertion Burn", in which its engines will fire for about 96 minutes to slow down the spacecraft and allow it to be captured by Saturn's gravity. During this time, Cassini will also be protected by its high-gain antenna, which will act as a shield against any potential debris in Saturn's rings.

How long will Cassini stay in Saturn's orbit?

The Grand Finale phase of the mission is expected to last about 5 months, from April until September 2017. During this time, Cassini will make a total of 22 orbits around Saturn, flying between the planet and its rings. After this phase, Cassini will be intentionally sent into Saturn's atmosphere to avoid any potential contamination of its moons.

What are scientists hoping to learn from Cassini's entry into Saturn's orbit?

During the Grand Finale, Cassini will collect data and images of Saturn's atmosphere, magnetic field, and rings that have never been possible before. Scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the planet's structure, composition, and evolution. They also hope to learn more about the formation of Saturn's rings and the potential for life on its moons.