A difficult integral for help

• Thread starter xylai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Rachel discuss using Cauchy's rule and making a change of variables to solve the integral \int^{2a}_{0}dpJ[0,b\sqrt{p}]J[0,b\sqrt{2a-p}] where a and b are constant, and J[0,x] is Bessel function. They suggest expanding the Bessel functions as series and multiplying them, then passing the integral through to the inner most sum and making the change of variables p=2au.
xylai
[tex]\int^{2a}_{0}dpJ[0,b\sqrt{p}]J[0,b\sqrt{2a-p}][/tex]

where a and b are constant, and J[0,x] is Bessel function.

Physics news on Phys.org
xylai said:
[tex]\int^{2a}_{0}dpJ[0,b\sqrt{p}]J[0,b\sqrt{2a-p}][/tex]

where a and b are constant, and J[0,x] is Bessel function.

Expand out both Bessel functions as a series and multiply them according to Cauchy's rule, namely

[tex] \left(\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k} x^{k}\right) \left(\sum_{j=0}^{\infty}b_{j} x^{j}\right) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{j=0}^{k}a_{j}b_{k-j} x^k[/tex]​

and pass the integral through to the inner most sum (the second time I've blatantly ignored convergence issues, perfering to hand-wave such until I get a result) and make the change of variables [itex]p=2au[/itex], you should get it from there... post your result so I can compare/check my work.

Ben

1. What is an integral and why is it difficult?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is difficult because it involves complex calculations and requires a deep understanding of mathematical principles.

2. How do I approach solving a difficult integral?

The first step is to identify the type of integral you are dealing with and the techniques that can be used to solve it. Then, carefully follow the steps and rules for that specific type of integral to reach a solution.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a difficult integral?

While a calculator can help with basic integrals, it is not recommended for solving difficult integrals. These require a more precise and thorough approach that can only be achieved by hand.

4. What are some common techniques for solving difficult integrals?

Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. It is important to have a good understanding of each technique and when to use them.

5. How do I know if my solution to a difficult integral is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the integral and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integral calculators or ask a math expert for verification.