Velocity in uniform circular motion

In summary, the Ferris wheel has a radius of 20.0m and completes 1 revolution in 8.42 seconds. The speed of a point on the edge of the wheel is 19.00 m/s. The x component of acceleration at the top of the circle would be 0, and the y component would be -18.05 m/s^2. The velocity is actually 14.92 m/s, not 19.00 m/s. The acceleration would be 11.14 m/s^2.
waldvocm
a Ferris wheel has a radius of 20.0m and it completes 1 revolution in 8.42 seconds

a) what is the speed of a point on the edge of the wheel?

The circle is divided into 8 triangles. I have determined from that that the arcs of the circle (8 of them) each equal 20m. Because the triangles are similar and each side of the triangle will equal 20m. Is my thinking here correct?

so velocity equals 20/8.42=19.00

b)The x component of acceleration at the top of the circle would equal 0. Correct?

c)The y component of acceleration at the top of the circle would equal a=v^2/r 19.00^2/20.00=-18.05 since the acceleration vector is pointing toward the center of the circle it is negative.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a change in the velocity
v=2pir/t
v=14.92

acceleration would equal 11.14

waldvocm said:
a Ferris wheel has a radius of 20.0m and it completes 1 revolution in 8.42 seconds

a) what is the speed of a point on the edge of the wheel?

The circle is divided into 8 triangles. I have determined from that that the arcs of the circle (8 of them) each equal 20m. Because the triangles are similar and each side of the triangle will equal 20m. Is my thinking here correct?

so velocity equals 20/8.42=19.00

b)The x component of acceleration at the top of the circle would equal 0. Correct?

c)The y component of acceleration at the top of the circle would equal a=v^2/r 19.00^2/20.00=-18.05 since the acceleration vector is pointing toward the center of the circle it is negative.

Is this correct?

a)v=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r/T=2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*20/8.42=14.92m/s
and the length of the arcs will equal circumference divided by 8
b)do u mean the horizontal component? yes that would equal zero as only acceleration is towards center of Ferris wheel
c)yes but the v value is wrong. look at part my explanation for part a. and as for the negative sign that depends on how u assign upwards and downwards direction. it would be better to say downwards or to center of the wheel.

EDIT: don't know why my pis are above. they shouldn't be lol

What is the definition of velocity in uniform circular motion?

Velocity in uniform circular motion is the measure of the rate of change of an object's position as it moves in a circular path at a constant speed.

How is velocity different from speed in uniform circular motion?

While speed in uniform circular motion is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of the object's motion, velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the velocity and acceleration are always perpendicular to each other. The acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the velocity, while the velocity remains constant in magnitude.

How can the magnitude of velocity in uniform circular motion be calculated?

The magnitude of velocity in uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where r is the radius of the circular path and T is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution.

What happens to the velocity in uniform circular motion if the radius of the circle is changed?

If the radius of the circle is changed, the velocity in uniform circular motion will also change. As the radius increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa, while still maintaining the same frequency or number of revolutions per unit time.