What are the units of spring constant K?

In summary, the units of spring constant K can vary depending on the unit system being used, with Newtons per meter (N/m) being the units in the SI system and dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm) being the units in the CGS system. However, the value of K remains constant regardless of the units used. The units of K represent the stiffness of a spring, with a higher value indicating a stiffer spring and a lower value indicating a more flexible spring. To convert between different units of K, conversion factors can be used. The significance of the units of K lies in their ability to quantify and compare the stiffness of different springs, as well as their role in equations and calculations involving springs.
zaga04
Multiple Choice
Question: What are the units of the spring constant K?
I. N/m^2
II. kg/s^2
III. J/m^2

Choices:
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II
E. II and III

I cannot find it in my textbook for some reason...

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it, write out hookes law.

This sounds like homework, so we'll help you work towars the solution.

Last edited:
What does Hooke's law tell you?

What are the units of spring constant K?

The units of spring constant K depend on the unit system being used. In the SI unit system, the units of K are Newtons per meter (N/m). In the CGS unit system, the units of K are dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm).

Can the units of spring constant K vary?

Yes, the units of spring constant K can vary depending on the unit system being used. However, the value of K will remain constant regardless of the units used.

What do the units of spring constant K represent?

The units of spring constant K represent the stiffness of a spring. A higher value of K indicates a stiffer spring, while a lower value of K indicates a more flexible spring.

How do I convert between different units of spring constant K?

To convert between different units of spring constant K, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from N/m to dyn/cm, you can use the conversion factor 1 N/m = 10^5 dyn/cm.

What is the significance of the units of spring constant K?

The units of spring constant K are significant because they allow us to quantify and compare the stiffness of different springs. They also play a crucial role in many equations and calculations involving springs, such as Hooke's law.