Should I Get a 1 or 2 Year Master's in Physics?

In summary, the speaker has an undergraduate degree in chemistry and is planning on getting a PhD in physics. They are considering a one-year master's degree at a prestigious university, but are unsure if it will fill in enough gaps in their physics education. The speaker's university requires incoming grad students with a master's degree to retake some coursework. The one-year master's program at Cornell requires a thesis and may include the same physics classes as the PhD program. The speaker is seeking more specific information about which courses they have taken and plan to take in both the one-year and two-year master's programs.
Moonshine
I have an undergraduate degree in chemistry. I'm taking some physics classes and I plan on eventually getting a PhD in physics. I plan on getting a master's before I go for the PhD. This will allow me to fill in some gaps in my physics education.

My question is, what are you guy's thoughts on the one-year master's degrees offered by some universities? Cornell's master of engineering in engineering physics comes to mind. Would I be better off doing a regular two-year, research oriented master's degree at a less prestigious school?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't have an undergraduate degree in physics, a one-year masters program isn't going to fill in enough of the gaps for you to be ready for a PhD in physics. Especially if the masters isn't in physics (engineering physics probably isn't close enough). If you are going to go for a PhD, a masters that includes a thesis is invaluable - not only to show PhD schools that you can handle the coursework, but also that you're ready to do research. My university requires that incoming grad students with masters degree retake some of the coursework anyway.

Well, I'm going to end up taking almost every required undergraduate physics course, excepting some labs.

For Cornell's master's degree, you have to do a thesis and I believe you can take physics classes that are the same ones that PhD students have to take. I may be wrong, though.

I think it helps to be more specific: what courses have you taken already, what courses are you planning to take in a 1-year master, and what other courses would you take in a 2-year master?

1. What is the difference between a 1-year and 2-year Master's in Physics program?

A 1-year Master's in Physics program typically consists of coursework and a research project that can be completed within one academic year. On the other hand, a 2-year Master's program usually includes a more in-depth research component, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of a specific topic or subfield within physics.

2. Which program is better for career advancement?

Both 1-year and 2-year Master's programs in Physics can lead to career advancement opportunities. However, a 2-year program may provide a more well-rounded education and deeper understanding of physics, which could be beneficial for certain career paths such as research or teaching.

3. How do I decide which program is right for me?

Deciding between a 1-year and 2-year Master's in Physics program ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Consider factors such as your desired career path, research interests, and the level of commitment you are willing to make for a graduate program.

4. Can I switch from a 1-year to a 2-year program, or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between a 1-year and 2-year Master's program in Physics, but it may require reapplying and beginning the program from the beginning. It is important to carefully consider your options and make a decision before starting a program to avoid any potential setbacks.

5. How does the length of the program affect tuition costs?

Tuition costs for a Master's program in Physics can vary depending on the institution and program length. In general, a 2-year program may be more expensive than a 1-year program due to the additional year of coursework and research. However, financial aid and scholarships may be available to help offset the cost for both program lengths.