Efficient Integration of Exponential Functions with Infinite Limits

In summary, when asked to evaluate the integral ∫ (-ik - 2ax)exp(-2ax^2) dx with limits -∞ and ∞, the attempted solution of multiplying and using integration by parts is incorrect. The correct approach would be to first do the two parts separately, evaluating ∫-∞∞ ik e-2ax^2 dx using knowledge of integration, and then using substitution to evaluate ∫ 2ax e-2ax^2 dx.
ronaldoshaky

Homework Statement

how would you integrate, int (-ik - 2ax)*exp(-2ax^2) dx with limits infinity - infinity

Homework Equations

i think i can use the result int exp(-x^2) dx = sqrt (pi). But I am stumped.

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought about multiplying it out

int -ik*exp(-2ax^2) - 2ax*exp(-2ax^2) dx with limits infinity and - infinity

but it looks more complex now. would you use integration by substitution

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ronaldoshaky! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and an infinity: ∞ and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Just do the two parts separately …

-∞ ik e-2ax2 dx you know how to do;

and ∫ 2ax e-2ax2 dx you can do by substitution. :wink:

Thank you!

Hi tiny-tim

Can I evaluate this integral ∫-∞∞ (ik-2ax) exp(-2ax2) dx without multiplying it out,
using integration by parts because it is a product?

I get

∫-∞∞ (ik-2ax) exp(-2ax2) dx = f(x)g(x) - ∫ f '(x)g(x) = - ik (sqrt (pi/2a)) + ikx (sqrt (pi/2a))

Is that any way correct?

No. :redface:

1. What is exponential integration?

Exponential integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the integral of a function that contains an exponential term, such as e^x or a^x. It involves using integration by parts or substitution to solve the integral.

2. What are some common applications of exponential integration?

Exponential integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model the growth or decay of quantities that follow exponential patterns. It is also used in economics and finance to model compound interest and other exponential growth phenomena.

3. How does exponential integration differ from other types of integration?

Exponential integration is unique in that it specifically deals with the integration of exponential functions. Other types of integration, such as trigonometric or polynomial integration, focus on different types of functions and require different techniques to solve.

4. What are some challenges associated with exponential integration?

Exponential integration can be challenging because exponential functions can be difficult to integrate, especially when they are combined with other functions. It also requires a good understanding of integration techniques and a solid grasp of the properties of exponential functions.

5. Are there any tips for solving exponential integrals?

Some tips for solving exponential integrals include using integration by parts or substitution, simplifying the integral as much as possible before attempting to solve it, and using known properties of exponential functions to your advantage. It is also helpful to practice with a variety of examples to improve your skills.