Collisions: Understanding Conservation of Momentum

• Thread starter urgent
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses collisions in a nuclear reactor using graphite as a moderator. The first part of the problem involves calculating the speeds of a neutron and a carbon nucleus after a head-on collision. The second part involves a disintegrating atomic nucleus and calculating the velocities and kinetic energy of the resulting particles. To solve these problems, conservation of momentum equations should be used and the type of collision should be determined based on the given information. It is recommended to refer to examples in a textbook or class lecture notes for guidance.
urgent
Collisions..PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

(a) A nuclear reactor (see below) contains nuclei that fission when bombarded by slow neutrons. The fission reaction produces fast neutrons which need to be moderated (i.e. slowed down) in collisions before they can cause further fissions. In this problem we consider a reactor which uses graphite (i.e. carbon) as moderator. Assume the neutron and carbon nuclear masses are 1.67 × 10–27 kg and 20.0 × 10–27 kg respectively.

Consider a head-on collision between a neutron with speed 17.5 Mm/s and a stationary carbon nucleus.

(i) Calculate the speed of the neutron after the collision

Mm/s

(ii) Calculate the speed of the carbon nucleus after the collision

Mm/s

(b) An unstable atomic nucleus of mass 17.0 × 10–27 kg which is at rest disintegrates into three particles. One of the particles, of mass 5.00 × 10–27 kg, moves in the y direction with speed 5.90 Mm/s. Another, with mass 8.40 × 10–27 kg, moves in the x direction with speed 2.80 Mm/s .

(i) Calculate the x component of velocity of the third particle

Mm/s

(ii) Calculate the y component of velocity of the third particle

Mm/s

(iii) Calculate the kinetic energy released in the process
fJ

Homework Equations

do not know.

The Attempt at a Solution

i could not make any attempt at this question as it seemed really hard to me, could someone please tel me how to solve all these questions and with formulas? i know its quite a lot but my exam is in 2 weeks time and i need to know this one as it very important, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Here are some general guidelines for this type of problem.
  • Collision problems are usually conservation-of-momentum problems. So use the equation(s) for conservation of momentum.
  • You need to read the wording of each question, or use what you know, to decide if it's a 1-d or 2-d problem.
  • You need to read the wording of each question, or use what you know, to decide if it's an (1)elastic, (2)completely inelastic, or (3)partially inelastic collision. (1) and (2) are common in introductory physics questions, (3) is rare. Another common situation is (4) objects initially together are then moving apart after the "collision".
  • "Head on" means you can treat it as a 1-d problem, since the particles do not rebound at oblique angles.
Please see if you can come up with the relevant equations and an attempt at a solution from these hints. Check your textbook or class lecture notes for examples if necessary.

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics refers to the interaction between two or more objects that results in a change in their motion or energy.

2. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision.

3. How is kinetic energy affected by collisions?

In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted to other forms, such as heat or sound.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted to other forms. Additionally, in an elastic collision, the objects involved rebound off of each other, while in an inelastic collision, they stick together.

5. How do you calculate the final velocities of colliding objects?

The final velocities of colliding objects can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. The equations used will depend on whether the collision is elastic or inelastic, and the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved.