How do you solve for P in a separable equation involving multiple variables?

• Thread starter edGeykins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, we are given the initial position of a hawk at (3000,0) and a pigeon at (0,-1000). The pigeon flies at a constant speed of 60 ft/sec in the y-axis direction while the hawk, oblivious to the pigeon, flies at a constant speed of 70 ft/sec always in pursuit of the pigeon. We are asked to find the equation for the pigeon's position (g(t)=60t-1000) and the hawk's line of travel (1000+y-(x*p))/60 where p=dy/dx. We then use the integral of ∫[x, 3000] √(1+p^2) to find the distance the hawk has flown,
edGeykins
Suppose that a hawk, whose initial position is (a,0)=(3000,0) on the x-axis, spots a pigeon at (0,-1000) on the y-axis. Suppose that the pigeon flies at a constant speed of 60 ft/sec in the direction of the y-axis (oblivious to the hawk), while the hawk flies at a constant speed of 70 ft/sec, always in the direction of the pigeon.

All the answers provided are correct, and I'm really close to the end I'm just stuck on one part.

The pigeon's position is given by the function (0, g(t)) where g(t)=60t-1000

The hawk's line of travel is tangent to the curve of pursuit, and is given by (1000+y-(x*p))/60
(where p=dy/dx)

The distance the hawk has flown is given by the integral ∫[x, 3000] √(1+p^2) which also equals 70t

The total distance can be considered: ∫[x, 3000] (1/70)√(1+p^2)

Next both sides of the equation are differentiated giving:

(-1/60)*(x*q) on the left and

(-1/70)(sqrt(1+p^2)) on the right

This is now a separable equation with the variables p and x. It can be equated to:

(p/sqrt(p^2+1)+1)/(sqrt(p^2+1)+p)=6/(7x)

Integrating we get

ln(p+sqrt(1+p^2)) on the left and

6/7(ln(x))+C on the right

solving for C we get =-6.535150622

and here's where the roadblock comes in. I cannot for the life of me solve for P.

Wrong answers I've tried: P=sqrt((e^(6/7(ln(x))-6.535150622)^2-1)/2)

a given hint was to "Exponentiate to get rid of the logarithm. Then isolate the square root on one side of the equation and square both sides" which is what I thought I did but I must be doing something wrong. I've been stuck on this for a good 2 hours and have gotten many answers but no success.

After solving for P, I have to solve for y, given that P=(dy/dx), then solve for C by plugging in the initial position of the hawk.

Any help would be really appreciated. I still have till Monday to have this done but it would be a huge load off my mind to finish it off by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*update* After many hours of work and staring at the computer i was able to figure out the equation for P(= (x^(12/7)-e^(2*6.535150622))/(2 e^6.535150622 x^(6/7))) and from there i got y=((7 x^(13/7))/13-7 e^(2*6.535150622) x^(1/7))/(2 e^6.535150622)+C

plugging initial position of hawk into that (3000,0), C=6447.358594091420960 (For anyone in the future who has this problem use Wolfram Alpha to help with the extra decimals)

I'll keep this up in case anyone ever has a problem similar to this in the future

Last edited:

1. What is the "Curve of Pursuit"?

The "Curve of Pursuit" is a mathematical concept that describes the path taken by an object as it moves towards a moving target. It is also known as the "Pursuit Curve" or "Dog-Chasing-Its-Tail Curve".

2. How is the "Curve of Pursuit" used in real life?

The "Curve of Pursuit" has various applications in real life, such as predicting the movement of animals chasing their prey, designing missiles and projectiles to intercept moving targets, and optimizing the route of a race car trying to overtake another car.

3. What factors affect the shape of the "Curve of Pursuit"?

The shape of the "Curve of Pursuit" is affected by the speed and direction of the moving target, the speed and agility of the pursuing object, and the distance between the two objects. Other factors such as wind and gravity can also play a role.

4. How is the "Curve of Pursuit" calculated?

The "Curve of Pursuit" is calculated using mathematical equations, such as the differential equations of motion. These equations take into account the initial positions and velocities of the objects, as well as any external forces acting on them.

5. Can the "Curve of Pursuit" be applied to non-moving targets?

While the "Curve of Pursuit" is typically used for moving targets, it can also be applied to non-moving targets. In this case, the pursuing object will follow a circular path around the target, with the radius of the circle determined by the distance between the two objects.