Evolution of Carbon dioxide from Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide?

In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of carbon dioxide from the reaction between sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide. It mentions that carbon dioxide is obtained from the action of dilute acids on metallic carbonates or bicarbonates and provides equations for the reactions. The conversation also mentions the hydrogencarbonate ion's ability to act as both an acid and a base. Finally, it suggests a possible equation for the reaction between sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide.
1/2"
Evolution of Carbon dioxide from Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide??!

Hi!:smile:
Here’s a question my teacher asked me to solve about evolution of carbon dioxide,
We know that carbon dioxide is obtained by the action pf dilute acids on any metallic carbonate or bicarbonate e.g.
NaCO 3 + (dilute) HCl gives( I am using gives since I don’t know how to give an arrow:biggrin:)NaCl + H2O+CO2

NaHCO3 + (dilute) HCl gives 2NaCl + 2H2O+CO2 Therefore what would be the result of

NaHCO3 + KOH ?

Think it “might” be (just out of instinct:biggrin:)
NaHCO3 + KOH gives NaOH +KOH+H2O+CO2:?confused:

I don’t know whether it’s correct :uhh:eek:r not and I would be very thankful if someone helps!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Lol for some reason I find your equation cute :tongue:

The hydrogencarbonate ion HCO3- can both act as an acid and base. If it receives a proton to become H2CO3 (carbonic acid), it acts as a base. If it loses a proton to form carbonate ion CO32-, it acts as an acid.

Anyway this is a standard acid-base neutralization reaction. Write out the individual ionic equations for the acid and base disassociation first.

[tex]KOH -> K^{+} + OH^{-}[/tex]
[tex]NaHCO_{3} -> NaCO_{3}^{-} + H^{+}[/tex]

Next neutralize the H+ and the OH-, and then combine the remaining ions into a salt :smile:

Last edited:

1/2" said:
NaCO 3 + (dilute) HCl

For the record: this is not sodium carbonate.

1. How does the reaction between sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide produce carbon dioxide?

When sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) and potassium hydroxide (KOH) are mixed together, a chemical reaction occurs. The bicarbonate ion (HCO3-) in sodium bicarbonate reacts with the hydroxide ion (OH-) in potassium hydroxide to form water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). This reaction is known as a neutralization reaction.

2. What factors affect the rate of carbon dioxide evolution in this reaction?

The rate of carbon dioxide evolution in this reaction can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher concentrations of reactants and higher temperatures can increase the rate of the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction without being consumed in the process.

3. What is the purpose of using sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide in this reaction?

Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide are commonly used in this reaction because they are readily available and inexpensive chemicals. They also react quickly and produce a large amount of carbon dioxide, making them ideal for experiments and demonstrations.

4. Can this reaction be used to measure the amount of carbon dioxide in a sample?

Yes, this reaction can be used to measure the amount of carbon dioxide in a sample. By measuring the volume of gas produced, the amount of carbon dioxide in the sample can be determined. This reaction is commonly used in industries such as food and beverage production to monitor carbon dioxide levels.

5. Is the evolution of carbon dioxide from this reaction a physical or chemical change?

The evolution of carbon dioxide from this reaction is a chemical change. This is because new substances (water and carbon dioxide) are formed as a result of a chemical reaction between the reactants (sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide). In a physical change, the substances involved remain the same, but their physical state may change.