Large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture HELP [really quite ]

In summary, a design student is seeking assistance with the feasibility of a large-scale electromagnetic hover sculpture. Questions about the polarity of an object, power requirements, magnetic field shielding, and the use of an induction coil are raised. It is important to carefully consider the power source and safety implications before proceeding with the project.
s2mega
large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture... HELP! [really quite urgent...]

http://i.1asphost.com/s2mega/magnet.jpg

Hiya all~~ I'm a design student, and I'm in search of anyone who may be able to assist in determining the feasibility of the above design... URGENTLY...

i have conceptualised a design for a free-floating chrome ball sculpture on a somewhat large scale, and now i would like to know whether the design, or even the concept, is feasible.

the original concept involves electromagnets lining the bowl, all of an opposite polarity to the centre dome structure (if possible built of the lightest possible material, fibreglass of some kind perhaps) whose polarity is provided by an electromagnet housed inside the structure, which brings me to my first question:

1. is it possible to have an entirely negative/positive only polarity on an object? electromagnet?

cos i assume any magnet would have both poles and therefore a strict repellent force from the surrounding electromagnets would be quite impossible.

my second concept on this design is the most feasible one, and it's more like the illustration. the chrome ball's end facing down is of opposite polarity to the surrounding electromagents, and suspended/attached to the base of the bowl structure via a cable of some sort (which can also provide power to the electromagnet housed within the ball) now for my 2nd question:

2. how much power would it take approximately to power electromagnets for something on this scale? is the power drain feasible for a purely decorative sculpture?

3. is there a material that is magnetic-field retardant? such as isolate the electromagnetic field to within the bowl, so that passer-bys would not have their gold tooth ripped out of them.

4. IF something like this was built, how large would the electromagnetic field be, if no magnetic shielding is employed? and how large would the field be if there WAS shielding employed?

5. a professor in the physics labs informed me of something called an induction coil, where coils are wound one way and the topmost coil is reversed, and this produces within the coil a zone of zero force, or whatever he called it. he said that within this central zone one could levitate a small object - would that work? and along that same vein, the practicality of emplying a large-scale induction coil? power drain? implications?

thank you sooooo much for enduring to the end of my long-winded post, any any any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
(and i really do need it soon... it's a sort of short project...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I can definitely help you with your questions about the feasibility of your electromagnetic hover sculpture.

Firstly, to answer your first question, it is possible to have an object with an entirely negative or positive polarity. This can be achieved by using a permanent magnet, which has a north and south pole, or by using an electromagnet with a strong enough current to overpower the opposite polarity.

In terms of your second question, the amount of power required to power electromagnets for a large-scale sculpture would depend on the strength of the magnets and the size of the sculpture. However, it is important to note that electromagnets can consume a significant amount of power, so it is important to consider the power source and its sustainability.

To address your third question, there are materials that can act as magnetic field retardants, such as mu-metal or ferromagnetic materials. These can be used to shield the magnetic field and prevent any potential harm to passersby.

Regarding your fourth question, the size of the electromagnetic field would depend on the strength and placement of the magnets. If no shielding is employed, the field would extend further, potentially causing interference with nearby electronics. With shielding, the field can be contained within the sculpture itself.

As for your fifth question, the concept of an induction coil can work for levitating small objects, but it may not be practical for a large-scale sculpture. The power drain and implications would also need to be carefully considered.

I hope this helps with your project! It is important to consider the feasibility and safety aspects of your concept before proceeding with its construction. Good luck!

1. Electromagnets can have either positive or negative polarity, depending on the direction of the current flow. It is possible to have a magnet with only one polarity, but it would require a carefully designed coil and power source.

2. The power required to run electromagnets for a large scale sculpture would depend on several factors such as the strength of the magnets, distance between the magnets, and the weight of the suspended object. It is difficult to estimate the power drain without specific details of your design. However, for a purely decorative sculpture, it is important to consider energy-efficient options to minimize power consumption.

3. There are materials that can shield or contain magnetic fields, such as mu-metal, which is a nickel-iron alloy. It is commonly used in magnetic shielding applications. However, it is important to consult with a professional engineer to determine the best material for your specific design.

4. The size of the electromagnetic field would depend on the strength and arrangement of the magnets. Without shielding, the field would extend further, potentially affecting objects and people nearby. With shielding, the field would be contained within the bowl structure.

5. Induction coils can be used for levitation, but it would require precise control and a stable power supply. Scaling up this technology for a large sculpture can be challenging and may require significant power. It is important to consult with an expert in this field for practicality and potential implications.

I hope this information helps in your project. It is always best to consult with professionals and conduct thorough research before proceeding with a large-scale design. Good luck!

What is a large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture?

A large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture is a sculpture that utilizes electromagnetic forces to hover in the air. It can range in size from a few inches to several feet and can be made of various materials such as metal, plastic, or even glass.

How does a large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture work?

A large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture works by using two opposing magnetic fields. These fields are created by magnets or electromagnets and when they interact, they produce a force that causes the sculpture to hover and move.

What are the benefits of using electromagnetic forces in a sculpture?

Using electromagnetic forces in a sculpture allows for a unique and dynamic display. It also eliminates the need for physical supports, allowing for a more open and visually appealing design. Additionally, electromagnetic forces are relatively easy to control and can create smooth and fluid movements.

Are there any safety concerns with large scale electromagnetic hover sculptures?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with large scale electromagnetic hover sculptures. The electromagnetic fields used can interfere with electronic devices and may pose a risk to individuals with pacemakers or other medical devices. It is important to follow safety guidelines and keep a safe distance from the sculpture.

Can a large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture be created for outdoor use?

Yes, a large scale electromagnetic hover sculpture can be created for outdoor use. However, the environment and weather conditions may affect its performance and durability. It is important to consider these factors when designing and constructing an outdoor electromagnetic hover sculpture.