Efficient Pulley System for Fabric: Reduce Effort by 1/3 | Physics Forums"

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an efficient pulley system to reduce the effort of pulling fabric wrapped around a wooden rod. The suggestion is made to examine the system for friction and potentially install ball bearings or teflon sleeves to reduce the necessary force. Happy New Year!
vaas44
I would like to design an efficient pulley system to pull a fabric which is wrapped around a wooden rod. Is there any pulley system which can reduce the effort to 1/3 rd of the actual?

I have attached some images of the setup.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=433804"

Attachments

• side-view.JPG
    side-view.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 404
  • cylinder-pull3.JPG
    cylinder-pull3.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 442
  • pulley3.JPG
    pulley3.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 401
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
any reply in new year 2012

vaas44, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Although I cannot suggest any different pulley system to diminish the pulling effort, I will offer this: Examine the whole system for moving parts that have friction. Then install ball bearings or teflon sleeves. Reducing friction will reduce the force necessary to pull the fabric.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

What is an efficient pulley system?

An efficient pulley system is a mechanical device that uses multiple pulleys and a rope or belt to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects. It allows for a smaller input force to produce a larger output force, making work more efficient.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to redirect the applied force. The fixed pulleys are attached to a solid structure, while the movable pulleys are attached to the object being lifted. As the rope or belt is pulled, the movable pulleys move along the fixed pulleys, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

What are the advantages of using an efficient pulley system?

The main advantage of an efficient pulley system is that it allows for a smaller amount of force to be applied to lift or move heavy objects. This makes work easier and more efficient for the user. It also reduces the risk of injury and strain on the body, making it a safer option for lifting heavy loads.

Are there different types of efficient pulley systems?

Yes, there are different types of efficient pulley systems, including fixed pulley systems, movable pulley systems, and compound pulley systems. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different purposes. Some systems may also use a combination of these types to create an even more efficient system.

How can I determine the efficiency of a pulley system?

The efficiency of a pulley system can be determined by calculating the mechanical advantage, which is the ratio of output force to input force. The higher the mechanical advantage, the more efficient the pulley system is. It is also important to consider factors such as friction and the weight of the pulleys themselves when determining efficiency.