Is Android Dying? | PF Discussion

• Thread starter haxtor21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Android
In summary, Android is doing very well and will continue to do so, while Apple's business model is causing them to lose market share.
haxtor21
Hello PF. I was wondering what you guys think about Android and its future? Is google keeping Android just to stay in the smartphone biz, and down the line replace it with ChromeOS?

Would it be worth to start learning the Android framework and start developing apps?

On a side note, are games on the iPhone built in Java?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Android leaps past iPhone in U.S. shipments and market share
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/android-leaps-past-iphone-in-u-s-shipments-and-market-share-2010115

Yep. That sure looks like death. Not to the Android however.

Android is for a completely different application than Chrome OS, and will not be replaced by it.

Additionally, iPhone apps are written in Objective-C. Android is written in Java.

I think (actually I read in Spectrum some months ago) that one of the big problems is the lack of platform independence that cellphone makers are causing. Apple devs write in Objective C, and Android and BlackBerry in Java. Now I'm not sure what the market shares are, but I know that you can't get 90% of the market with one app.

p1ayaone1 said:
Now I'm not sure what the market shares are, but I know that you can't get 90% of the market with one app.

I can't seem to understand this statement...

No matter what the app is written in, it will always be restricted to the platform for which it is designed. Ergo, you cannot capture 90% of the overall market share with one app.

no, but you can come close with a Windows app ;)

D H said:
Android leaps past iPhone in U.S. shipments and market share
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/android-leaps-past-iphone-in-u-s-shipments-and-market-share-2010115

Yep. That sure looks like death. Not to the Android however.

Nope. And with AT&T's bottom of the heap performance as reported by Consumer Reports this month, a lot of people who were considering buying an iPhone are slamming on the brakes, saying, "You mean those lack of connectivity rumors were real?!"

Don't get me wrong - the iPhone is still a neat piece of technology. It's that that Apple has long been overly-proprietary, and their adherence to that business model has hobbled their business performance.

I don't think Android will die for at least five years or so even though Google is releasing it's ChromeOS. They see right now that they need to get a large amount of the mobile market share just as they have with their market share when it comes to search. I think eventually ChromeOS will replace Android, but phones will have to be faster. Especially with the App Store for Chrome OS just released though it's pretty interesting.

1. Is Android really dying?

There is no clear answer to this question. While some experts predict a decline in Android's market share, others argue that it is still the dominant operating system for mobile devices. It is important to note that Android is constantly evolving and adapting to the changing technological landscape.

2. What are the reasons for the decline of Android?

One of the main reasons for the decline of Android could be the increasing competition from other operating systems, such as iOS and Huawei's HarmonyOS. Additionally, the oversaturation of the market with Android devices could lead to a decrease in demand for new devices.

3. Will Android eventually be replaced by another operating system?

It is unlikely that Android will be completely replaced by another operating system in the near future. However, it is possible that other systems may gain a larger market share, leading to a more diverse landscape for mobile devices.

4. What impact will the decline of Android have on the technology industry?

The decline of Android could have a significant impact on the technology industry, as it is currently the most widely used operating system for mobile devices. This could lead to changes in the strategies of companies that rely on Android, as well as potential shifts in the market for app developers.

5. What can be done to prevent the decline of Android?

To prevent the decline of Android, Google and other companies may need to innovate and introduce new features and technologies to keep users interested and satisfied. Additionally, creating partnerships and collaborations with other companies could help to strengthen Android's position in the market.