Geometry Problem, Please assist

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry problem involving a parallelogram with a given ratio between two sides. The question is to determine the ratio of the area of a triangle within the parallelogram to the area of the remaining quadrilateral. The person has tried different methods but is still having trouble and is seeking help. They also ask for clarification and a diagram.
dekoi
Im back with yet another geometry problem.

In the parallelogram ABCD, AE:ED = 1:2. B is joined to E on AD. A is joined to opposite vertex C. Intersecting point labelled F.
Determine the ratio of the area of ABF to quadrilateral EFCD.

I have tried a variety of methods, yet can't seem to get the right answer (3:11). Please help me any way you can.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but could i clarify something which is unclear? Hopefully someone will be able to help out :S

Thanks ahead of time.

I'll probably be able to answer this on like wednesday, haha, i haven't learned this at school yet, but I'm doing the same topic.

where's E?
Could you please include a diagram.

-----------

Attachments

• pic.JPG
    pic.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 372
Anyone willing to reply with some suggestions?

Thanks. :)

1. What is a geometry problem?

A geometry problem is a mathematical problem that involves shapes, angles, and measurements in a two or three-dimensional space.

2. How do I approach a geometry problem?

Start by carefully reading and understanding the problem. Then, draw a diagram to visualize the given information. Next, use your knowledge of geometry concepts and formulas to find a solution.

3. What are some common geometry concepts and formulas that can help solve problems?

Some common geometry concepts and formulas include the Pythagorean Theorem, area and perimeter of different shapes, angles and their measurements, and congruence and similarity of shapes.

4. What are some strategies for solving geometry problems?

One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Another is to use visual aids such as diagrams or manipulatives to better understand the problem. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the given information to find the solution.

5. What are some tips for avoiding common mistakes in geometry problem solving?

Be sure to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Pay attention to units and labels when using formulas. Double check your calculations and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.