Semiconductor Electron Affinity

In summary: Thanks. In summary, the temperature dependence of the electron affinity is due to the band gap changes with temperature. The band gap changes with temperature because the constant values are fitting parameters and they are valid for 4H-SiC only.
magfluxfield
Hi There,

Im doing a study of MOS capacitors (Semiconductor is 4H-SiC) and I am looking at the interface trap density with respect to temperature (range 300K to around 600K) and also photonic excitation with hv<Eg.

That said, i have a question regarding the temperature dependence on electron affinity, to calculate the flatband voltage shift due to the workfunction difference between the metal and the semiconductor (this does not take into account oxide fixed charges or interface traps) we can use;

[tex]\phi_{ms}=\phi_{m}-\phi_{s}=\phi_{m}-\left(\chi+\frac{E_{g}}{2}-\psi_{B}\right)[/tex]

where

[tex]\psi_{B}=E_{F}-E_{i}=kT\exp\left(\frac{N_{D}}{n_{i}}\right)[/tex]

and obviously the intrinsic carrier concentration has a temperature dependance, and also the components of that determining equation also have temperature depandance;

[tex] n_{i}=\sqrt{n_{c}n_{v}}\exp\left(\frac{-E_{g}}{2kT}\right) [/tex]

For 4H-SiC

[tex] E_{g}(T)=E_{g}(0)+6.5\times10^{-4}\frac{T^{2}}{T+1300} [/tex]

[tex] n_{c}=3.25\times10^{15}T^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

[tex] n_{c}=4.8\times10^{15}T^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

so we can now use these to calculate [tex] E_{F}-E_{i}=\psi_{B} [/tex] for various temperatures, which means the [tex] \frac{E_{g}}{2}-\psi_{B} [/tex] part is sorted.

However, my question is, the electron affinity must change due to band gap variations with temperature, how can these values for electron affinity be calculated to get a more accurate value for the metal-semiconductor work function difference as this determines the voltage shift in the C-V curve, which is then used to determine the interface trap density.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
We can not understand the "the electron affinity must change due to band gap variations with temperature".

The electronic affinity is the difference between the bottom conduction band (CB) and the vacuum energy level.
It is independent on band gap and temperature.

I agree that the electronic affinity is the difference between the bottom of the conduction band and the vacuum energy level.

However you are mistaken that the band gap is not a function of temperature, as the temperature increases from 300K, the interatomic spacing increases, which lowers the field seen by other atoms, hence reducing the band gap, this reduction can be found by;

[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/30/3001979-3.png

**Note: + should be -, as it is a reduction, and latex for some reason isn't working for me at this second so i had to use the picture of the latex from my previous post.

Where the constant values are fitting parameters and they are valid for 4H-SiC only, there are other values for other semiconductors. Now using the value of the band gap at 300K for Eg(0), it is possible to calculate the reduction in band gap for increased temperature 'T'.

So, the band gap reduces with temperature, now, thus if the conduction band and or valence band will move. Now, if the conduction band moves due to the shrinking of the band gap (i do not know wether the valence band comes up only, the conduction band goes down only or they both change in proportion), this will have an effect on the electron affinity.

I am guessing that the conduction band stays the same and the valence band comes up, but I am not sure. That would mean the electron affinity would remain constant, which is fine, but I would like to know for sure.

Now in regard to the semiconductor work function, all of the terms in the equationmust be used as the work function is defined thus (see Schroder or Nicollian & Brews);
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/30/3001979-0.png

Now this assumes the only non ideality, this would be the flatband shift if the fixed oxide charge, trapped oxide charge and mobile ionic charges along with Dit were neglected.

I made a mistake in my pervious post about the work function difference being a function of the mentioned non idealities, i meant to say the flat band voltage shift!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I misunderstood your problem.

I am not familiar with the SiC.

But I give a paper searched on google.

Find the attachment PLZ.

Attachments

• SiC-affinity.pdf
    389.7 KB · Views: 595

What is semiconductor electron affinity?

Semiconductor electron affinity refers to the amount of energy released or absorbed when an electron is added to a semiconductor material. It is also known as the difference in energy between the bottom of the conduction band and the vacuum level.

What factors affect semiconductor electron affinity?

The factors that affect semiconductor electron affinity include the type of semiconductor material, the presence of impurities or defects, and the temperature of the material.

How is semiconductor electron affinity measured?

Semiconductor electron affinity is typically measured using a technique called photoemission spectroscopy, which involves shining light on the material and measuring the energy of the emitted electrons.

What is the relationship between semiconductor electron affinity and band gap?

There is an inverse relationship between semiconductor electron affinity and band gap. This means that as electron affinity increases, the band gap decreases, and vice versa.

Why is semiconductor electron affinity important in electronic devices?

Semiconductor electron affinity is important in electronic devices because it affects the conductivity and energy levels of the material, which ultimately determines the device's performance and functionality.