Petroleum Engineering vs Chemical?

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to decide between majoring in chemical or petroleum engineering. They are considering doing a BSc in chemical engineering followed by an MS in petroleum engineering to have a backup option. They are also seeking opinions on the future of the petroleum industry. One person believes it is a great industry to work in currently, but it is hard to predict the future. Overall, it is suggested that chemical engineering may be a safer option.
NT123
Hi All,

I'm currently deciding on what to major in - my top 2 choices are chemical and petroleum engineering. I slightly favor petroleum engineering, but I am not sure whether it would be a good idea to go into it at this stage since I am uncertain about the future of the oil industry.

I am considering doing a BSc in chemical engineering followed by an MS in petroleum engineering, which would allow me to become a petroleum engineer but have what I believe to be the more stable chemical engineering to fall back on if the oil industry began to suffer. This would be possible at my university (UT Austin), since the petroleum graduate program covers the basics of petroleum engineering in the program itself, since it accepts a lot of people from non PE majors. However, I would like to hear people's opinions on whether this is a good idea.

Also, I would be like to hear anyone in the petroleum industry's opinion on how the industry will look over the next few decades.

Thanks in advance, Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
A few decades from now is hard to forecast. In the near term, though, Petroleum industry is a great place to work and you wouldn't go wrong (unless you're like me and you hate the smell of crude oil). The pay is top-notch, lots of vacation, etc.

No one goes into Petroleum Engineering anymore, they go into Chemical Engineering.

Chemical Engineering will be a safer bet..
Since we can not predict the future of Oil industry..
Current condition of finding job from oil company, however, is quite good..

I cannot give you a definitive answer on which engineering major to choose. Both chemical and petroleum engineering have their own unique strengths and applications in various industries. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals.

However, I can provide some insights on the differences between the two fields in terms of job outlook and industry trends. The oil industry has been facing challenges in recent years due to the shift towards renewable energy sources and increasing government regulations. This may affect job opportunities in the petroleum engineering field, but it is difficult to predict the exact impact on the industry in the coming decades.

On the other hand, chemical engineering has a broader range of applications in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental engineering. This may provide more stability in terms of job opportunities.

If you are interested in pursuing a career in the oil industry, it may be beneficial to have a background in both chemical and petroleum engineering. This will give you a diverse skill set and make you more marketable to potential employers. Additionally, obtaining a MS in petroleum engineering after a BSc in chemical engineering may give you a better understanding of the industry and help you make a more informed decision about your career path.

Ultimately, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when choosing a major. Both chemical and petroleum engineering offer valuable skills and opportunities, and it is up to you to decide which path aligns best with your aspirations. I would also recommend reaching out to professionals in both fields to gain more insight and advice on your decision. Best of luck to you in your academic and career pursuits.

What is the main difference between Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering?

The main difference between Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering is their focus. Petroleum Engineering primarily deals with the extraction, production, and refining of crude oil and natural gas, while Chemical Engineering focuses on the design, development, and operation of processes used to convert raw materials into valuable products.

Which field has better job prospects and opportunities?

Both fields have good job prospects and opportunities, but it ultimately depends on the current market demand and the individual's interests and skills. Petroleum Engineering may have more job opportunities in the oil and gas industry, while Chemical Engineering may have a wider range of job prospects in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental engineering.

What are the common skills and knowledge required for both fields?

Both Petroleum Engineering and Chemical Engineering require a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in chemistry and physics. They also both require critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and project management is beneficial in both fields.

Which field has a higher salary potential?

In general, Petroleum Engineering has a higher salary potential compared to Chemical Engineering. This is due to the high demand for petroleum products and the extensive training and specialized skills required for the job.

Is it possible to transition from one field to the other?

Yes, it is possible to transition from Petroleum Engineering to Chemical Engineering or vice versa. Both fields have overlapping skills and knowledge, and some professionals may choose to switch careers or combine both fields in their work. However, additional training and experience may be required to make the transition smoothly.