Where Can I Find a Connector for a 40kv 15ma High Voltage Power Supply?

In summary, the power supply has a connector that screws into a hole in a metal tube. This connector is standard and can be found all over the place.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all, I've got a high voltage power supply that I need some sort of connector for. It's a 40kv 15ma output and the connector screws in over a hole that leads to an enclosed plastic tube with a metal rod about halfway down. Are these standard connectors or do i need to do something crazy to get one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
standard? best i can remember, they are all over the place.

Proton Soup said:
standard? best i can remember, they are all over the place.

I havn't dealt with high voltage before. What do you mean by all over the place? Should there be a high voltage store somewhere around town I can go to? Or do I need to order online?

Drakkith said:
I havn't dealt with high voltage before. What do you mean by all over the place? Should there be a high voltage store somewhere around town I can go to? Or do I need to order online?

yeah, i mean like there's all kinds. http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/menu/en/12153

i haven't done a lot of HV work, just built a precision voltage divider for HV test set a few years back. honestly, it is a bit of a pain in the arse. most of the connectors aren't like those coax connectors above at all. typically, they're plastic. you've got to use special connectors, special wire, and keep everything clean. no sharp edges on any conductors, etc. what you've got will arc and is more than enough to kill you, so you'll need to be very careful with it. we had one tech at the time that did get electrocuted, and he was rather upset about it for a while. stuff leaks, so try not to get killed.

anyhoo, not sure the best way. it would help if you had a parts list and could track it down that way. if you had access to an assortment, you could just try out different ones maybe. all ours was MIL, so it wasn't really a problem finding exact matches. usually.

Awesome! Thanks guys!

1. What is a high voltage power supply?

A high voltage power supply is an electrical device that converts a lower voltage input into a higher voltage output. It is commonly used in scientific research, industrial applications, and medical equipment.

2. How does a high voltage power supply work?

A high voltage power supply uses various components such as transformers, capacitors, and rectifiers to convert and regulate the input voltage to a higher output voltage. It typically operates on the principle of energy conversion and transfer.

3. What are the applications of a high voltage power supply?

High voltage power supplies are used in a wide range of applications, including particle accelerators, X-ray machines, laser systems, and electronic equipment testing. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and defense.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with a high voltage power supply?

Working with high voltage power supplies can be dangerous, and it is important to follow safety precautions. Some of these include wearing proper protective gear, ensuring proper grounding, and using insulated tools and equipment.

5. How do I choose the right high voltage power supply for my application?

The right high voltage power supply for your application will depend on factors such as the required output voltage and current, input power source, and any specific features or functions needed. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to choose the appropriate power supply.