Words that you tend to misspel mispell misspell

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been spelling devestation as devastation, has had trouble with exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule, and has been misspelling words lately.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ugh, I just realized that I've been spelling devastation as devestation. :rolleyes: And the worst of it is that I was doing this on purpose!

Other times, it seems like my fingers have a mind of their own. I often fire off a post while thinking it correctly, and seemingly seeing it correctly, but not typing it correctly. I look back later and wonder who the heck typed that! I know part of the problem is that I need to have my eyes checked. I may need more than reading glasses.

A lot of words seem to get dropped as well. At the time I thought they were there, but upon viewing later I find holes in my sentences.

Maybe it's mainly a vision thing, not sure. Late edits can contribute to the dropped words problem, and I do a lot of that as I think things through a little more.

Physics news on Phys.org
I nearly always leave the e, off of before. I'm not sure why. I know I have many common type-o's and short cuts, like suposta. But the e..eludes me.

Can't spell diarrhoea. I think I've just got it right for the first time ever. My main problem at the moment isn't spelling though. It's hitting the right keys in the right order. Getting old.

I usually botch words that end in -uous like "continuous" the 'u' and 'o' get repeated and swapped.

Oh, and there's the exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule, can't think of one, but they always throw me.

cobalt124 said:
Can't spell diarrhoea. I think I've just got it right for the first time ever.
Heh. An American might disagree.

Gokul43201 said:
Heh. An American might disagree.

A Brit might, I'm not so sure now.

I often see rediculous when it should be spelled ridiculous. reoccurring when they mean recurring

I seem to misspell words a lot lately, words I know how to spell.

My main problems are with exceptions to "i before e, except after c" and sometimes the differences in suffixes "ence" and "ance."

Ivan Seeking said:
Ugh, I just realized that I've been spelling devastation as devestation. :rolleyes: And the worst of it is that I was doing this on purpose!
Maybe it's mainly a vision thing, not sure. Late edits can contribute to the dropped words problem, and I do a lot of that as I think things through a little more.

I think it might be due to the lack of focus. When I have too many things on my mind, I drop a lot of words that I think were there. I hate to drop words like 'not'. I go back and wonder what the hell I just wrote. Sometimes, I wouldn't notice what I dropped even when I review it second time. But, speaking it out loud always helps. I might need new glasses also but I never thought about that.

I think this thread is unneccessary. Unecessary. Unneccesary. Whatever, it's not needed.

Nun off this wood bee a problem if ewe jest used a spell chequer like eye dew.

Last edited:
Tomorrow used to get me, then oddly, I just split it into: "to the morrow", which apparently bypasses one of the screwier circuits in my brain.

I'm more used to thinking faster than I type... about 80% of my writing occurs in editing, and I rarely if ever edit here (not a shock to anyone familiar with me)... for spelling there is a checker.

Words with ie. I can't be bothered to recite that stupid poem.

Pythagorean said:
Words with ie. I can't be bothered to recite that stupid poem.

I before E, except after C, but now we have spellcheck so we all are FREE!

Rediculous.

russ_watters said:
Rediculous.

Sheeriously?

lisab said:
I think this thread is unneccessary. Unecessary. Unneccesary. Whatever, it's not needed.

that's my big one. and any others with a lot more consonants than necessary. like accommodate. accommodate.

Rithym...Rythme...Rythem?

But no: it's Rhythm, unfortunately. God, it gives me a headache.

And then when you ask someone, they're like: "You mean rhyme?""Y" has no business being a vowel, only part of the time either. That's total bull crap.

FrancisZ said:

And then when you ask someone, they're like: "You mean rhyme?"

And "Y" has no business being a vowel, only part of the time either.

Same here! And.. Assymetry... I always try to make it Asymmetry.

nismaratwork said:
Same here! And.. Assymetry... I always try to make it Asymmetry.

Boy, but does that have room for a joke. It's literally written all over it.

But it does actually look less offensive, with the single s. o:)

nismaratwork said:
Tomorrow used to get me, then oddly, I just split it into: "to the morrow", which apparently bypasses one of the screwier circuits in my brain.

I have to remember it as to-mor-row.

Jimy, spelchequers are pointles.

S_Happens said:
...the differences in suffixes "ence" and "ance."

sion vs tion

Ivan Seeking said:
sion vs tion

good one.

and ise vs ize (when pronounced "eyes")

I like selping.

Ivan Seeking said:
I have to remember it as to-mor-row.

Jimy, spelchequers are pointles.

Yeah... I read too much old English as a kid... rots the brain.

Ahhh.. who HASN'T misspelled "brain" as "brian" at least once on keyboard?

nismaratwork said:
Ahhh.. who HASN'T misspelled "brain" as "brian" at least once on keyboard?
Me. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actual written content, from my great uncle to my grandfather, while the former was on his honeymoon (ca. 1950)...

"Having a wonderful time playing glof."

Sidebar: When very young, did anyone else here think LMNO was a single letter - elemmenno?

as in ...H, I, J, K, ELLEMMENNO, P...

cobalt124 said:
Oh, and there's the exceptions to the "i before e, except after c" rule, can't think of one, but they always throw me.

It's ...

i before e,
Except after c,
Or when sounded as "a,"
As in neighbour and weigh.
Or other weird words
Such as species, science, and seize.

But I always liked the idea that "weird" broke the rule. How fitting.

FrancisZ said:
Actual written content, from my great uncle to my grandfather, while the former was on his honeymoon (ca. 1950)...

"Having a wonderful time playing glof."

Maybe 'glof' is a fun alternative to Golf, and you've been missing out this entire time? :wink:

@BogG: I love English, but it's absolutely insane. I'm not sure what we expect from a Franco-Deutsch-Dutch-Latinate-Etc... language. Hungarian is easier...

Here are the ones that cause me to pause:

Correct Spelling (My spelling)

- Separate (Seperate)
- Unnecessary (Unecessary)
- Pharaoh (Pharoah) - Just wrote a paper on ancient Egypt and this word was quite the nuisance.
- Because (Becuase) - Not because I don't know how to spell it, but because my fingers are rebellious.

My mistakes are usually grammatical; I'll leave something and come back later to see that I'm missing an indefinite article somewhere, or my verb tense is screwed-up. This usually happens when I'm correcting something and don't re-read the sentence, or when I simply type something incorrectly, even though what I heard in my head was correct.

My wife and I will always exchange papers / lab reports for this very reason. When I proofread my own stuff, I'll sometimes read mistakes and not notice them because I'll see/hear what I meant to write, not what was actually written.

FrancisZ said:

And then when you ask someone, they're like: "You mean rhyme?""Y" has no business being a vowel, only part of the time either. That's total bull crap.
Rhythms is the longest English word in current usage that has no vowel. Maybe that knowledge will help with the spelling?

BobG said:
It's ...

i before e,
Except after c,
Or when sounded as "a,"
As in neighbour and weigh.
Or other weird words
Such as species, science, and seize.

But I always liked the idea that "weird" broke the rule. How fitting.
'Weird' is one of those words that I have to think of for half a second, before I can spell it right. I just remember that it is completely back-***-wards: not only does it break the "i before e" rule, it breaks it for no good reason ('science' and 'being' have good reasons).

I think the word I mistype the most is 'an' - I seem to almost always end up with 'and'.

Gokul43201 said:
Rhythms is the longest English word in current usage that has no vowel. Maybe that knowledge will help with the spelling?

'Weird' is one of those words that I have to think of for half a second, before I can spell it right. I just remember that it is completely back-***-wards: not only does it break the "i before e" rule, it breaks it for no good reason ('science' and 'being' have good reasons).

I think the word I mistype the most is 'an' - I seem to almost always end up with 'and'.

Think of Weird in terms of its origins: Wyrd. Wi-e-rd would sound like "we air ed", and you're aiming for the proto-saxon: "Wyrda" like "vir-dah"... You want e-i "eh-ee" not "ee-eh".

congradulation...congratulation...congragulation

ok, the PF spell checker says the second one is correct...