C-Band Antenna - Help Needed with EchoStar 500

In summary, the speaker has a C-band satellite antenna in their backyard and a EchoStar 500 Satellite Receiver Positioner. They are unsure of how to use it and have researched and found that they need to pay around $30 per month for service. They are interested in getting HBO and NASA TV and have checked the NASA website for instructions. They are also unsure of who to contact or pay for the service and mention needing a descrambler and possible hardware costs. They do not watch TV regularly and make a joke about the NASA website.
Stanley_Smith
I have a satellite antenna in my backyard (the big antenna, not the small one from Direct TV) and I don't know how to use it. I did some research and I think it's called the C-band antenna and I do have to pay around $30 for service/month just like we have to pay for cable TV. I have a receiver, it's the EchoStar 500 Satellite Receiver Positioner.

Could anyone help me out ?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
There is quite a bit of stuff that you can get for free.
If you want to get HBO or similar, then yea, they want money.
There are also digital transmisions (some free), but you need the reciever box for it.

It is called C-band.
If you do not get anything but snow then it needs to be aligned or something is wrong with it.

Ooo, you could probably get NasaTV too! Check the Nasa site and they'll tell you what to do.

check said:
Ooo, you could probably get NasaTV too! Check the Nasa site and they'll tell you what to do.
Yes, You can get NasaTV.
But, if you don't get anything at all, they will not be able to tell you what to do.

LMAO,
I was just checking the Nasa site and decided to type in www.tv.nasa.gov[/url] and look at the page I got. Makes u wonder why... though it might have something to do with [PLAIN]http://tv.nasa.gov (without the www)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who provides the service, who do I contact/pay ?

Try google "C-Band satellite".
What kind of descrambler do you have, otherwise hardware costs.

I don't watch TV enough to care about a service.

check said:
LMAO,
I was just checking the Nasa site and decided to type in www.tv.nasa.gov[/url] and look at the page I got. Makes u wonder why... though it might have something to do with [PLAIN]http://tv.nasa.gov (without the www)
:rofl: Ok, Now I'm waiting for the MIB to show up :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a C-Band antenna?

A C-Band antenna is a type of satellite dish that is used to receive and transmit signals in the C-Band frequency range. It is commonly used for satellite communications and can receive signals from a wide range of satellites.

2. How does a C-Band antenna work?

A C-Band antenna works by receiving radio signals from a satellite in the C-Band frequency range and then converting them into electrical signals. These signals are then amplified and sent to a receiver, which decodes the signals and displays them on a TV or other device.

3. What is the EchoStar 500 and how does it relate to a C-Band antenna?

The EchoStar 500 is a satellite that transmits signals in the C-Band frequency range. A C-Band antenna is needed to receive these signals and the EchoStar 500 is one of the many satellites that can be received using a C-Band antenna.

4. What are some common issues with C-Band antennas and how can they be fixed?

Some common issues with C-Band antennas include signal interference, misalignment, and equipment failure. These issues can be fixed by adjusting the position and alignment of the antenna, checking and replacing damaged equipment, and ensuring that there are no obstructions blocking the signal.

5. Do I need any special equipment or skills to install a C-Band antenna?

Installing a C-Band antenna may require some specialized equipment, such as a satellite signal meter, and basic knowledge of how to align and adjust the antenna. It is recommended to hire a professional installer to ensure proper installation and optimal performance of the antenna.