If the singlet gluon existed (and I realize it doesn't)

In summary, the question is about the behavior of a hypothetical singlet gluon and its coupling to baryons and quarks. The conversation discusses the potential behavior of a singlet gluon and how it would differ from the octet gluon, as well as the impact on the color force and interactions between quarks. The summary concludes with a question about the potential force between antiquarks and a quark-antiquark pair.
Zarathustra0
OK, here's a question that's unusual in that it regards a particle state that's pretty much taken to be nonexistent. Nonetheless, my curiosity is piqued. I've read from multiple sources that if the singlet gluon existed, it would couple with equal strength to all baryons because they are also color singlets. This coupling of course really must consist of coupling between the singlet gluon and the constituent quarks of the baryon since baryons are not elementary particles (or have I gotten part of that wrong?). That said, it seems that the quarks in the baryon are themselves not color singlets. Does a quark in a baryon somehow know that it is part of a color-singlet composite particle, i.e., does it carry this information inside it (e.g., as a quantum number although I assume not) such that the singlet gluon can couple to it--or does the singlet gluon somehow couple to the whole baryon? Obviously it doesn't couple at all because it doesn't exist, but I'm speaking hypothetically here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question. I believe a singlet gluon would behave quite differently from the octet. Never mind the baryons, it would couple to quarks, and presumably all quarks equally.

The nonabelian nature of the color gauge group is what makes the Lagrangian nonlinear. This leads to the gluon-gluon interactions that cause the color force to strengthen at greater distances and hence to color confinement. But a singlet gluon would be associated with an abelian gauge symmetry, and would appear very similar in fact to electromagnetism. You'd basically have a long-range vector coupling. Since the 'charge' for this interaction would be the same for all quarks, it would lead to a repulsive force between them.

Thanks--in that case, would the force between antiquarks also be repulsive and that between a quark and an antiquark attractive?

What is a singlet gluon?

A singlet gluon is a hypothetical particle that is proposed to exist in quantum chromodynamics (QCD) theory. It is a color-singlet state of a gluon, which is a fundamental particle that carries the strong force between quarks.

What evidence is there for the existence of a singlet gluon?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of a singlet gluon. The concept of a singlet gluon is based on theoretical models and calculations in QCD theory. However, experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and other particle accelerators continue to search for evidence of this particle.

How would the existence of a singlet gluon change our understanding of the strong force?

If a singlet gluon were to be discovered, it would provide a more complete understanding of the strong force and its role in the structure of matter. It would also have implications for our understanding of the behavior of quarks and other subatomic particles.

Is there a possibility that a singlet gluon could be discovered in the future?

Yes, there is a possibility that a singlet gluon could be discovered in the future. With advancements in technology and particle accelerators, scientists are continuously pushing the boundaries of our knowledge and searching for new particles. The discovery of a singlet gluon could potentially open up new avenues of research and further our understanding of the universe.

What are the potential applications of a singlet gluon, if it were to exist?

If a singlet gluon were to exist, it could have applications in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and technology. It could also have implications for our understanding of the early universe and the formation of matter. However, these potential applications are purely speculative until the existence of a singlet gluon is confirmed.