Creating a magnetic ring field question

In summary, an expert summarizer of content provided the following: - An individual is attempting to build a magnetic suspension field that can hold magnetic objects in place in mid air. - Since a magnetic field isn't flat, a single magnet would be pointless as the opposing object is continually sliding off it. - To create a ring field so that objects would get caught in a magnetic trap, an individual studied maths not physics. - There is a theorem proving this: "[URL Can you suggest a Diamagnetic material that would work? - Although a common permanent magnetic field can support a diamagnetic plate, it is not possible to generate a configuration where the object is stable. - To hold the object in place,
oliver102
Hi there,

I'm attempting a science experiment to create a magnetic suspension field that can hold magnetic objects in place in mid air.

Since a Magnetic field isn't flat a single magnet would be pointless as the opposing object is continually sliding off it, so I looked at creating a ring field so that objects would get caught in a magnetic trap as gravity acted down on them.

I'm wanting to build a large one that can hold something substantial however I want to build a prototype first to make sure my little theory works.

The design for it is relatively simplistic, a disk of wood with a uniform sequence of holes in 3 rings going round it.

The magnets them selfs are neodymium rod magnets dropped into the housings so they are fixed, each one is 2mm wide and 8 mm long. I'm still calculating the spacing in order to generate the magnetic ring needed to apply 360 degree's of magnetic force to be able to hold something stationry as I know a single weak spot will cause it to collapse.

Anyone have any thoughts on improving this little experiment?

I studied maths not physics, magnetic fields are just something that fascinate me and I'd like to do some experiments with their applications.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be done (unless you use a diamagnetic materials, such as superconductors).
There is even a theorem proving this: "[URL [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you suggest a Diamagnetic material that would work?

Just so I understand it, a common permanent magnetic field can support a diamagnetic plate can't it? Such as graphite, if dropped in a magnetic field should be suspended.

I only did a few weeks of electromechanics and didn't get to do much practical work to experiment.

The only thing that would work is a superconductor; and if you use a type-II superconductor such as YBCO you don't even need a ring (due to the flux pinning).
But then you would of course need to cool it using for example liquid nitrogen or a pulse tube cooler so it is rarely a practical solution.

All normal diamagnetic materials are much too weak to support anything in the kinds of fields you can get from a permanent magnet.

Hence, there is a reason why you've never seen this in a commercial product.

Could you simply design it so that the magnets holding the object up are on the bottom and it sits in the well of a couple of others on the ground? Like have a center magnet on a base, with a couple of other magnets arranged around it but tilted inwards slightly so that the fields form a "cup" of sorts. Would this work?

Drakkith said:
Could you simply design it so that the magnets holding the object up are on the bottom and it sits in the well of a couple of others on the ground? Like have a center magnet on a base, with a couple of other magnets arranged around it but tilted inwards slightly so that the fields form a "cup" of sorts. Would this work?

No, see Earnshaw's theorem above. It is quite literally impossible to create configuration where the object is stable.

f95toli said:
No, see Earnshaw's theorem above. It is quite literally impossible to create configuration where the object is stable.

Ah ok, I see now. New suggestion: Use some kind of support or varying magnetic fields to hold it in place.

1. How does a magnetic ring field work?

A magnetic ring field is created by passing an electrical current through a ring-shaped conductor, such as a wire or coil. This creates a magnetic field in and around the ring, which can interact with other magnetic fields and objects.

2. What materials are needed to create a magnetic ring field?

To create a magnetic ring field, you will need a ring-shaped conductor, such as a wire or coil, and a source of electrical current, such as a battery or power supply. The type of material used for the conductor will affect the strength and properties of the magnetic field.

3. How can a magnetic ring field be used in practical applications?

Magnetic ring fields have a variety of practical applications, including in motors, generators, and transformers. They can also be used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in scientific experiments to manipulate particles and atoms.

4. What factors affect the strength and shape of a magnetic ring field?

The strength and shape of a magnetic ring field can be influenced by several factors, including the amount of electrical current passing through the conductor, the type and size of the conductor, and the distance from the ring. The orientation of the ring and the presence of other magnetic fields can also impact the field's strength and shape.

5. Is it possible to manipulate or control a magnetic ring field?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate and control a magnetic ring field through the use of various techniques, such as changing the amount of electrical current or the orientation of the ring. Additionally, by using other magnetic fields and objects, the direction and strength of the field can be altered to achieve different effects.