Chemistry: Naming compounds. Need someone to double check my work please.

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a chemistry problem involving writing the formula for ammonium acetate. The expert provides some examples of how the formula can be written and suggests that it may be ambiguous. The student thanks the expert but ultimately gets the answer wrong due to the many ways the problem can be rearranged. The expert expresses frustration with these types of problems and the lack of practical application in learning chemistry.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

Hi. I only have one more submission left in my homework. Can someone please check this problem real quick for me?
DIRECTIONS: Write the formula for each of the following compounds. (Type your answer using the format Al(HSO4)3 for Al(HSO4)3.)
PROBLEM: Ammonium Acetate
MY ANSWER: NH4C2H3OO

Physics news on Phys.org
This is tricky. You have correct atoms, no doubt about it, but there are many ways this formula can be written. For example NH4CH3COO, NH4CH3CO2. Technically if the group is present once only there is no need for parentheses.

To make things even more complicated organic salts are sometimes written in reversed order - like CH3COONH4, but directions seem to exclude this approach.

thank you a lot for your help. unfortunately i got it wrong though.
it is because there are too many ways to rearrange this problem! lol. but thanks anywayss.

If your teacher is reasonable you can try to argue that answer is ambiguous - as far as I can tell there is no one, agreed way of writing acetates formulas. Apart from those I listed earlier some people write ammonium acetate as C2H3O2NH4.

Could be you were told to use reversed order when writing formulas of organic salts, in which case directions can be misleading, if treated literally.

name_ask17 said:
thank you a lot for your help. unfortunately i got it wrong though.
it is because there are too many ways to rearrange this problem! lol. but thanks anywayss.

I hate these types of problems... you don't really learn any chemistry, just some meaningless rule that nobody uses.

My answer would have been NH4(CH3CO2). As in your example, the anion is in parentheses and the cation is out front.

What are the rules for naming compounds in chemistry?

The rules for naming compounds in chemistry depend on whether the compound is made of two elements or more than two elements. For compounds with two elements, the first element is named first and the second element is named with an -ide suffix. For compounds with more than two elements, the name starts with the name of the first element, followed by the prefixes to indicate the number of atoms of each element, and the name of the last element with an -ide suffix.

What is the difference between an ionic and a covalent compound?

An ionic compound is formed between a metal and a nonmetal, where electrons are transferred from the metal to the nonmetal to form ions. A covalent compound is formed between two or more nonmetals, where electrons are shared between atoms to form molecules.

How do you name an ionic compound?

To name an ionic compound, write the name of the metal first, followed by the name of the nonmetal with an -ide suffix. If the metal can form ions with different charges, use Roman numerals in parentheses after the metal name to indicate the charge.

How do you name a covalent compound?

To name a covalent compound, use prefixes to indicate the number of atoms of each element in the molecule. The first element is named first, followed by the second element with an -ide suffix. If the first element only has one atom, the prefix "mono-" is not used.

What is the purpose of using prefixes in naming covalent compounds?

The purpose of using prefixes in naming covalent compounds is to indicate the number of atoms of each element in the molecule. This helps to distinguish between different compounds with the same elements but different ratios of atoms.